RAM or hard drive issues

Hello, I am new to these forums and going to start off with saying thanks for taking a look. My Computer started crashing over the weekend which I believe is RAM related issue but figured I would try out these forums to see what other say. MY computer is about 6-7 years and has worked fine up until recent. I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate edition, 2.6 GHz AMD dualcore processor, 2 GB of RAM, 600 watt power supply. I am writing this from work so to get more detailed about my system set up I will have to update later after work. Well about a week ago I started having start up issues but didn’t think much of it because I would just restart it once and everything worked fine. Well over the weekend I wanted to upgrade my RAM to atleast 4 GBs so I shut down and took one stick out to verify the type needed. Well when I put it back in I evidently didn’t sit it in all the way without realizing it and start the PC up. Naturally problems occurred and didn’t start up properly. I still had the normal start up with post and the graphics card logo. The windows logo came and then a BSOD came up doing a physical memory dump. My first thought was the RAM so I turned off the PC and went to check the RAM and noticed the problem and it was so hot it was like toughing a hot oven. Fixed the RAM problem and everything started up fine at first and when I got to my desktop everything was going really slow and getting program errors as if they were starting to not respond one by one over about a 10 min span then another BSOD memory dump. I turned the PC off and let it sit to cool then came back with the same results only the BSOD came a lot sooner this time. After awhile of letting it sit and double checking things like both RAM slots and everything was securely in place I would just get the blinking cursor. Had a normal start up with post and graphics card logo but instead of Windows logo just the cursor so I figured the hard drive was messed up. I tried installing a new one setting my boot to CD-ROM first with the windows disc inserted. Everything went through fine, all drives were noticed and when the windows install started I got another BSOD. At that point I was at a lost on what I wanted to do so I left it alone. The only other information I can provide but its vauge would be one of the BSOD's weren't a memory dump. It had something similar to "NVP.sys 32x64".

EDIT:
MB = ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Power Supply = Corsair HX620w Modular PS
HD = Maxtor 300GB (I have other external drives for storage)
Video Card = Radeon VisionTek HD5670, x16 PCI Express 2GB Mem
RAM = Adata 2 GB (2 RAM cards, 1GB each)

Hope the added information helps and thanks

Well, hello and what are this "old" computers complete specs and model?

"Went to check the RAM and noticed the problem and it was so hot it was like toughing a hot oven"...
Not good! The motherboard and or power supply may have caused this and they are now in need of replacement. 6 or 7 years is very old for a computer with XP let alone Windows 7

Well I think the reason it was hot is because I didn't sit the RAM in all the way by mistake. But after last night I think it's just the RAM unless it's something else I'm not thinking of. I checked all my connections again when I got home last night and everything was good to go. The computer powered on like usual with no beeps, did the post and then the graphics card logo where I can hit "del" for set up and so on, and finally the windows logo. It sat there a good 5 min or so then the BSOD memory dump happened. From what I have been reading if it was the MB then nothing would come on at all (fans inside and so on), same with power supply which would be obvious, Windows tried starting so I would think the HD is fine. Only conclusion I can come up with is I fried the RAM with my mistake. I did read something about the chip set on the MD burning up and their system still powered on like normal but I'm not sure if that can relate to my issue. I added better tech specs to my previous post if you want to see what I have.

"Well I think the reason it was hot is because I didn't sit the RAM in all the way by mistake"...

Doing this usually trashes the memory and the motherboard. Your power supply is pretty good, so if you think it is just memory, replace it

Update on RAM issue

Just posting an update. I received my RAM in the mail yesterday and swapped it for the older one. Every started fine till the Windows logo came up and it appeared to lock up even though the logo was still glowing (think its a giff file) so I did a warm boot. Post and graphics logo came up fine and received the "Windows did not start up properly" message asking if I want to run a start up recovery or start up normally. I ran the start up recovery and after a while it came back saying it can not repair the problem and was having trouble coping the info to post here. Well it gave me other opitions to try so I figured couldnt hurt to run a mem test which came out just fine. After that the system rebooted and Windows logo was up for a very long time so I let it sit there to see what might happen. It eventually went to my desk top and everything was running very slow but able to access programs with no BSOD. I did get another report that looked like the same after the start up recovery but do not know if its the same info, this is what it had:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C000001D
BCP2: 8E6E0067
BCP3: 8B11F2A0
BCP4: 8B11EE80
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\013112-388208-01.dmp
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-475257-0.sysdata.xml

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

After a span of about an hour or so things started to run normal. It was late at night so I let the PC sit there and went to bed as it was updating something for warcraft. This morning before work I started up WOW and everything ran fine, in game was smooth with no lag. I shut down before I left for work and all was good there as well. When I get home I will test the start up again. I also want to run a chkdsk to make sure. Thanks everyone for your support.

"Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\013112-388208-01.dmp
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-475257-0.sysdata.xml"...

This just shows where the minidumps are stored, not the driver or system errors themselves. Please post the minidumps properly. The instructions are located here:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html
Did you replace both memory modules? Have you run a C drive check for errors? The instructions are in the link I posted

Ok thanks. I tried going to that file last night but wasn't sure how to open it to read it. Not familar with .dmp files on what programs allow you to open them. I wil attah the file after work tonight. Yes I replaced both modules. I have not run a C drive check, planning on that after work.

Back