Ram sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
help! computer won't boot at all

I have an hp and recently I was going to put more ram into it. I opened it and was checking to see which type I would need and I accidentaly knocked the chip out while the computer was on. Ever since then the computer won't start. All the lights come on and the disk drives start but the computer just makes a flat electronic tone for about ten seconds at time. I've tried unplugging and taking the whole thing apart but it's always the same and I don't know what to do.

Have you re-seated the RAM stick correctly? Sometimes it appears that it is in properly but it is not. Make sure you earth yourself correctly and that the power cable is disconnected from your PC before touching anything inside. If it is seated properly then it could be that you have zapped it when you dislodged it. Fortunately memory is quite cheap ATM. I just got a stick of DDR400 1GB PC3200 for less than £20 delivered to my door using Amazon.co.uk.

Hope you get it solved.

I triple checked, making sure that everything was connected properly and I was using a brand new ram stick. Is there anything else?

read the bios beep guide in the guides forum. You may have f-'d the motherboard by knocking a chip out under power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back