RAM slot instability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badsearcher

Hi,
I have a NF650-SLI and I had a peculiar problem a while back that my computer would just inexplicably get a bluescreen of death for half a second and then the monitor would go black and I would be forced to restart. Back then I had one 2 gb module in the ram slot closest to the cpu, and I thought that was where it belonged, it being either the first or the last. I also noticed that there were two orange and two blue slots and I didn't know what to make of it.

One day I talked to a friend about this and he told me that windows was finicky about which slot the ram module was in and that was the cause of the problem. So I ended up putting the ram module into the second slot from the cpu and voila, no problem ever again.

Kinda.

I recently acquired an additional 1gb module and I put it into the 1st slot from the cpu and next to the old one, and suddenly the problem is back, then I take it out and the problem goes away. What is going on here and what can I do about it so that I can fully utilize all of the ram in my possession?

Thank you in advance

Make sure both memory modules are DDR2 800MHz in type. It is never recommended to mix memory types. If the orange slot is closest to the CPU install the first and second modules in the orange slots... module 3 and 4 go in the blue slots

never mix memory

I have a MS-6712 KT4V board and the manual says: "...You can install either single- or double- sided modules in any order to meet your own needs"

slot module total memory
DIMM 1 s/d 64MB-1GB
DIMM 2 s/d 64MB/1GB
DIMM 3 s/d 64MB/1GB

You can install PC3200/DDR400, PC2700/DDR333, PC2100/DDR266 or PC1600/DDR200 modules on theDDR DIMM slots.

It doesn't say anything about making sure the sticks are identical so I assumed I could use different sizes. They should put it in BIG BOLD letters that they have to match. I don't know if I damaged anything having two sticksof 256MB to begin with, then I tried adding 1GB in all sorts of combos and slots. Finally, I got one more stick of 1GB that matches the other 1GB exactly - both PC2700/DDR333. No other sticks in there.

But almost every game I play will restart my computer after about 10 minutes of playing. ie: The Rage, Blobby Volley, Colobot, Free Billiards 2008...

I must've messed it up somehow. Ran Memtest86 with no errors so I don't know.:confused:

Don't mix single and double sided RAM. You are correct in your memory types for this old board 400, 333, 266, and 200MHz. 3 184 pin DDR modules 3GB max... This motherboard may be picky on the make of memory you can install in it

The motherboard is probably damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back