RAM supported by A7V333

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

Hey all, it's me again. Got a question regarding the new A7V333. There's a review on socketa.com that seems to state that this motherboard supports ddr and sdram. I didn't think that was possible, but then again, I'm running on a A7V and have never really seen ddr sockets up close, so I don't even know if the pin configs are even compatible. Could someone clarify this for me? I tried researching it through ASUS's website, but it's a joke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

VoodooHellfire

I believe he has made a mistake. I just read the review and I see where he references that. Here is the link to Asus for all the info.

Asus A7V333

DDR is very similar to PC-100/133 memory however the little notch on the bottom of the memory stick (module) is in a different location. You would not be able to insert one into the other.

Now it is true however, that some early DDR boards did support both types of memory but to achieve this the manufacture had to put BOTH DDR and SDR slots on the motherboard.

Hope this answers your questions.

From www.asus.com :

ASUS A7V333 is based on VIA® KT333 which offers 3 DDR DIMM, 5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, Ultra DMA/133 with optional IDE RAID, Audio, IEEE-1394, and multiple USB 2.0 ports.

Just to confirm what Boeing (should have stopped on 737 posts ;) ) has said.

The A7V333 does not have slots for sdram.
The only Asus boards that I am aware of that have the dual slot solution to allow the use of DDR OR Sdram are the A7A boards with the ALi MAGiK 1 chipset. I'm almost certain that this is the only chipset available with this dual memory support.
I'm sure using PC133 ram in a system that supports 333DDR would be quite crippling to the system. It would be pointless, I'm sure the reviewer has just made a mistake ;)

Yeah the A7V333 only supports DDR and PC2700 is recommended. BTW DDR is 184 pin, and regular SDRAM is only 168pins - DDR has an extra notch as well AFAIK.

The KT333 only supports PC1600, PC2100 & PC2700 DDR Ram modules.

On the other hand, the KT266a actually does support PC100/133 ram as well as DDRam. Most if not all manufacturors decided it's not worth the hassle to put the extra SDRam slots & extra circuitry.

Via KT266a Specs

Via KT333 Specs

Thanks for the heads up on the fact that the KT266a chipset can support both DDR and SDram. Never knew that, probably because I haven't seen a single implementation of it with SDram slots ;)

And just to clarify Via KT333 and DDR33...
From Via website (posted in News Forum)
With the launch of the VIA Apollo KT333 for the AMD Athlon™ XP processor and the VIA Apollo P4X333 for the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor, memory manufacturers and module suppliers including Micron Technology and Kingston Technology have started to ship DDR333 (PC2700) modules and devices specifically tested by AVL for compatibility with VIA chipsets.

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
Yeah the A7V333 only supports DDR and PC2700 is recommended. BTW DDR is 184 pin, and regular SDRAM is only 168pins - DDR has an extra notch as well AFAIK.

I believe you have it the other way around. DDR only has one notch and SDR has two. Yes you are correct DDR is 184 pins and SDR has 168 pins.

I found a great memory guide from Kingston that explains a ton of stuff.

Memeory Guide

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back