Ran out of space on partition with Windows installed on it

vukker

Hello I need some help/advice on a problem I am having with a new desktop I put together myself. I'm sure I have made some rookie mistakes along the way but this is why I did it for the learning process. Anyhow a problem I have already encountered is when installing windows 7 I partitioned a 400 gb hard drive with one partition for the os with 20 gb and two more partitions for storage with the remainder of the unallocated memory. Now the partition with my os is 19gb full and I know I am going to encounter problems. I tried to shrink one of the storage partitions to leave 40 gb of unallocated space to extend on the os partition, but windows disk management tool does not allow you to do that. Is my only option reinstalling windows onto one of these larger partitions and then formatting the old one? I am fairly new to tech spot so If I am not using proper posting etiquette feel free to let me know. Thank you any help would be appreciated!

You can extend the partition that you have installed Windows into, but in my opinion it would be a better idea to use a program such as Easus Partition manager; at;
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
The free (Home) version is fine for a job like this.
An alternative I have used is at;
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
These programs work in a similar way, by showing the partitions as they exist now.
You click once on the one you need to resize (to highlight it), then right-click, choose 'resize', drag the end markers out to where you want the partition to be,
click 'apply'. That's it, it does all the rest, and can take a few minutes to complete.
Note that it is a very good idea to when making major changes like this, to make a system image onto an external hard drive, just as insurance. But this method has worked perfectly for me on several different makes of drive, (1TB Seagate, 4 partitons) and
Iomega 320GB (3 partitions).

Hi

there are tools to move and resize partitions, but if you havent yet finalised the windows install i would say start again.

Hi thank you for the help I installed the easus software my problem now is that i have 3 partitions c (20gb), d(180 gb), e(180 gb) and c is full and contains my os. d has 40gb used of installed programs and some media and e is totally unused. I cant extend any memory onto c because d is next in memory and it has things written at the front. Do i need to copy everything from d to e to be able to extend c?

Mmk after some messing around with easus I figured out I just needed to have the unallocated spaced directly after the c drive to extend that drive onto it. So just unallocated spaced from e then moved the space in between d,e and the consecutively between c,d because it wouldn't let you do it just it one move. Thank you for the advice tech spot comes through clutch as always!

Thats the same (well really similar) issue I had a few weeks ago. I used EASEUS's Partition Manager with no problems. So another vote for that solution.

Good to hear Partition Manager worked, it does a fine job as long as you keep the commands simple enough. It's best to give it command, 'apply', let it do that, then give it another command, 'apply' etc.

Back