Random BSOD after possible power surge during storm

300lions

STOP: 0x0000009c BSOD ( Ac 97 Realtek ? )

Hi guys and thanx for your time .

I am getting these random BSOD screens
0x0000009c ( 0x00000004 0x8054D5F0 0xB2000000 0x00070F0F ), I noticed these started to happen POSSIBLY after a house power surge during a local storm , before that everything was running smoothly .

I suspect it is the motherboard's audio card, AC 97 Realtek but I am not sure since I dont know how to read minidump files.
I say so because when I do a 3D audio check m the system starts to lag and cough a bit :)

Things I did :
1)Full chkdsk on primary C: . Clean.
2)New updated drivers for Ac 97 Realtek , according to motherboard model . Problem remained.
3) opened case and cleaned with air spray . Problem remained .
4) checked voltage and thermals with Everest and System Information for Windows (SIW) . All seem fine ( I think ) .

I dont want to format yet or reinstall chipset , audio, video drivers yet before I got your opinion on the matter .

I include 3 minidumps ( since I had overwrite checked and had none before )
and if u so want I can include any report from Everest or Hijack this .

Thanks again ,
looking forward for your reply

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
Motherboard GA-K8N-SLi / GA-K8N-SLi-RH F9
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO (256 MB)
Multimedia:
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP04 - Audio Codec

***EDIT :
At least can someone tell me where is my hardware conflict , so I can have a lead of how to proceed on my own with this ?

Attachments

• Mini101110-01.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini101110-02.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini101110-03.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 1
All 3 error codes are the same 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dumps simply cited Unknown_Image (ANALYSIS INCONCLUSIVE) as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* I recommend an effective but tedious approach of uninstalling all hardware except power supply to the motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM. Boot up and see if you have stability. If so shut it down and add one more piece and so on.

* I'm not sure if it was me that I would trust that power supply. You should use a digital multimeter to test it.

Thank you very much sir
at least I have now a suggested plan of proceeding .

One more thing , I need your opinion on the 5V lines and temps , do you think they are abnormal ( especially 5v lines and cpu temp )

Thank you for helping ,
I really appreciate your time and effort .

Attachments

• ReportSensor.txt
    29.3 KB · Views: 1
For percentage tolerances:

The bare minimum is 5% and most good manufacturers go to 3%. And the really good supplies are tighter than 3%.

so for 5% they have to be between:
12v: 11.4v <--> 12.6v
5v: 4.75v <--> 5.25v
3.3v: 3.135v <--> 3.465v

And for 3% they can be between:
12v: 11.64v <--> 12.36v
5v: 4.85v <--> 5.15v
3.3v: 3.201v <--> 3.399v

I would also find out what the temperature range for your GPU and especially your CPU because the CPU seems high and if it is then your system will shut down

Back