Random BSOD (possibly having to do with NIC driver)

Hi Guys,

I am really hoping you can help salvage this rather old but decent system. I still use it for gaming so it does have a purpose!

Okay I am getting a BSOD and it seems to be happening when I stream media over the network or if someone is watching a video file from my machine from another computer. It doesn't happen immediately but that seems to be the trigger. I noticed almost every night when I would try and stream music from my media server it would go out shortly after, and I use about 2-3 different media streaming programs so its not just 1 particular program.

The stop error message is 0x00000124. I have included the minidump file. I just got the BSOD this morning and I was streaming video before it happened.

Please help with any suggestions.

Dan

Attachments

• 030511-24414-01.dmp
    154.6 KB · Views: 2
Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* So it could very well be your NIC card is bad in light of how old the system is.

See this link for further information: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Thanks for the prompt response

Hi Route44,

I do have an OC capable Graphics card in there, and I only started recieving the BSOD's after i plugged in my graphics card, and updated the drivers. It is a
EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
. It plays great and it never BSOD's when i am playing a game, only seems to do it when idle. I've done stress tests on it to make sure. When I boot up in safe mode I never get the BSOD, and the only thing plugged in is the video card. I could try to plug that same video card into my other machine but i just don't want to mess that one up, since its a brand new one i got.I probably should though right? Can you even get BSOD's in safe mode? I had it running for a week straight and no BSOD's. As soon as i booted out of safe mode it took at least 16-24 hours to get another BSOD.

hmmm. :(

Now that I think of it, maybe its coincidental that I got the BSOD after media sharing, because i booted in safe mode with networking, and i was able to browse the internet and look at other peoples files on the network...I bet its the video card, but I need something foolproof that says its the video card before i submit an RMA...Last time i was getting horrible artifacts on screen, i updated the drivers, fixed the artifacts, but then it seems that maybe the drivers i installed were possibly causing the BSOD....But you are saying its not software, but failed hardware, so that doesn't seem to make sense either....still stumped....

Try rolling back your video drivers to the previous latest release.

keep in mind oced hardware can cause this error.

Back