Random BSODs on new Windows install

mcmurphy12

I have been experiencing a few BSOD's on my desktop ever since I put a fresh install of Windows on it. I have never actually been using it when it BSOD'd, but I know that there were probably not any applications running (except for those running in the background.) This leads me to believe that it is hardware related. I am attaching the four Minidumps for those who know how to read them.

Edit: I forget to mention that I have run a Memtest on both sticks of RAM. They came up fine.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    98.2 KB · Views: 3
What version of Windows are you running and what antivirus/antimalware programs are you using?

Well the minidumps point to memory or even hard drive problems, but they are very general in this way. Keep us posted on any new ones

Well, memory problems seem unlikely as I have run the Memtest, but I will run another round of tests when I find the time. Hard drives would make sense, though. I did just put in two new hard drives and a SSD. There is an application to test hard drives, correct? The hard drives are Western Digital and the SSD is Samsung, by the way.

Are all the hard drives including the SSD set as AHCI in the bios? Do you have any SATA 3 ports?

Yes, I have 4 SATA 3 ports and 4 SATA 2 ports. I only am using the SATA 3 ports because I have one of the defective Cougar Point motherboards and I never bothered to get it replaced. My two hard drives are in the SATA ports that are controlled by the Intel chipset because I have them in RAID 0. My SSD is set as AHCI, but it is controlled by a Marvell chipset.

Are all the motherboard driver updated and did you get them from the Cougar Points support website?

Okay, so I just found a yellow exclamation point in my device manager. It is next to the SM Bus Controller. A quick Google search resulted in it standing for System Management Bus Controller. From what I read, it seems to have something to do with the motherboard. But, I can't seem to find the drivers on the Asus website.

Are you thinking something along the lines of a driver? I can check that when I get home from work tonight. But, it just is not making a lot of sense to me. I think if it has something to do with the hard drive, wouldn't a BSOD be more likely to occur if I put the hard drives under heavy use? All four times it has happened, the computer was not in use. They happened overnight. Also, the first two happened nearly a month prior to the last two.

Yes, If you see yellow exclamation points in the device manager, this points to a missing or corrupt driver

Back