Random BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty5000

Hello all,

I have been getting random BSODs on one of my computers for a while now. It was running Vista when they started showing up, so XP was installed on the computer but I just over-wrote Vista, just changing the name of the "Windows" folder. That obviously didn't work so I wiped the computer clean 5 days ago and installed XP on it again. However, the BSODs are still popping up.

Every one of them seems different, so I don't know what to look for. I have cleaned all the dust out of the case, but I haven't tried switching the RAM to different slots as I've seen mentioned on other posts. I will try that as soon as I get a chance and update it on here.

I have attached some of the dumps from Vista, the first XP install, and I have one from this new install of XP.

Thank you in advance for any help.

jeshmal4u,
did you send this reply by texting from a mobile phone?

scotty5000,
try running a disk check at boot up

ChkDsk came back clean. I switched the RAM to the 2 unused slots and I'll update this thread when I see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Looks like all your BSoD are related to Norton Antivirus

Uninstall Norton from Add/Remove Programs
Also check Add/Remove programs for other Norton programs installed (sometimes there can be up to 3 programs installed)
THEN, run the Norton removal tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Then Restart

Fault will now be gone :)

You can either re-install (the latest online) Norton :(
Or you can download and install free >> Avira Antivirus (of which I use)
If you do decide to install (and update) Avira, make sure to run a full scan of your system (to catch all the things that Norton missed)

" I switched the RAM to the 2 unused slots"... Be careful, the computer may not start if you don't have a RAM module in the first slot nearest the CPU

Switching the RAM didn't help. Had 2 BSODs yesterday. I have attached the minidumps.

I am going to un-install Norton and see what happens then.

Thank again for your help on this.

Un-installed Norton using the Norton Removal Tool and installed AVG and Outpost in it's place.

It crashed again this afternoon though. I have attached the latest minidump. Any other ideas?

Hi, well it faulted at ntkrnlpa.exe which is quite general
You could try updating your drivers from your manufacturer support website
But this is what I'd do:

Uninstall AVG and Outpost
Then run the AVG Remover Tool: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avgremover_en.exe
Then Restart

Have the BSoDs now stopped?
Try testing by doing the same thing you did when it last crashed
If all seems ok, then download free Avira Update it, and run a full scan
(Note this is what I suggested earlier to do as well)

Then report back

All drivers have been up to date since I wiped the computer out last. I have uninstalled AVG and Outpost and I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again for your help.

Well...the last BSoD was Monday morning right before I removed AVG and Outpost. I'm going to install Avira this morning and see what happens. I'll reply back with an update soon.

Another BSoD after installing Avira. :rolleyes:

Here's the latest dump file...

I'm going to un-install Avira in the mean time.

"All drivers have been up to date since I wiped the computer out last"...

What do you mean by "all drivers"? Motherboard drivers? Wtat is "Outpost". Is XP at Service Pack 3 now?

The fault happened when you were doing a Windows Defrag
Its possible your Hard Drive is the faulty part in all this:

The last crash before I un-installed AVG happened when nobody was at the computer. I'll check the HDD out. I might have a spare one I can throw in it;s place.

What do you mean by "all drivers"? Motherboard drivers? Wtat is "Outpost". Is XP at Service Pack 3 now?

I went to the Dell site and downloaded every driver they had available for my model of computer. Everything from the BIOS to Chipset to NIC to Video, but I didn't see any Motherboard drivers there.

Outpost is a free firewall program. I un-installed it when I un-installed AVG.

XP is at Service Pack 3 with all of the Windows updates along with it.

I think this is a separate issue, but I figured I would give you everything. Firefox crashes on this computer at least 4 - 5 times a day. I haven't looked into it yet because I have been trying to get the BSoD fixed first.

Installed and on another HDD. I got all of the latest drivers from Dell and installed Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, Remote Administrator, Firefox and Avira. Nothing else.

I'm uploading the latest BSoD that just happened several minutes ago.

I know it's not completely accurate, but I let Memtest86 run through at least 5 times again, but no errors.

Any other ideas? Power supply maybe? How would I check that?

Thanks!

Usually I just run Bios Defaults (sometimes something could have got modified in there)
Also, no new Minidumps?

Oh, and did you run Checkdisk after these restarts? (It really is required, if Windows is forced to shutdown by power loss ie holding in ON button to turn off computer)

I am running the defaults currently, I just wanted to point out that the enhanced features that I have read about before (I can't remember what it was called exactly...soemthing to do with the HDD) was off.

No new minidumps! :D

I was assuming that Checkdisk has run after every reboot. I have witnessed it at least twice, but I usually just walk away after I reboot. I can't say for sure it runs every time though.

Well.....no more BSoDs in a couple of days! Looks like CCleaner and TFC cleaned up my issues. (pun intended)

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back