Random crashes, freezes, applications closing

I'm writing this from my laptop as my desktop is increasingly unstable and has been f,r a while. I've taken advice from tech-wise guys, online forums and spent money with computer repair shops trying to sort it. Windows Vista Home Premium has been reinstalled more than once, hardware disconnected, drivers updated, memory has been tested and swapped - and whatever else I could think of or has been suggested.
The words "Windows has detected a problem..." or "The "application" has closed and is restarting.." are so familiar that I no longer scream.
I have a Packard Bell imedia, with Intel quad core, 4Gb Samsung memory in two strips (although system only seems to recognise 3) runnig Vista Home Premium 32-bit. 500Gb HD and a 250 PSU.
When I get a BSOD the codes/files quoted are invariably different and often there are no files quoted or other indications apart from "Windows detected a problem.." These things seem totally random - today, for instance - the first time ever - I was told that "plug and play" had stopped.
But I often don't always get a BSOD - I just get messages such as "Desktop Windows closed.." or "The application stopped..." or "Internet Explorer closed..." and very occasionally no message at all, just a restart.
I did suspect my Kaspersky protection, but problems occur with or without it, though seemingly less often when it is stopped - and I have the same security on this laptop (Windows 7) without the slightest problem.
Professional advice has been to reinstall Windows - done twice with only short temporary gain. Can't see the point of paying yet again for the same advice.

If possible please tell us what the computer shops did to repair your system in bullit points.

Secondly please give us your full hardware profile in bullet points as well. It makes it much easier this way. Yes, we know you have a 250 psu but we'd like the brand name. Also video card, etc. How old is this system?

Lastly...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

P.S. 32-bit Operating Systems cannot recognize or utilize 4 gigs of RAM. 3.5 is the max.

Thank you, your help is appreciated. Hope the following info is complete enough.
5 zipped minidumps attached.
G.
Machine: Packard Bell Imedia X2424 AIO (exactly two years old)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640 Gb
RAM: Installed: 4 Gb - (2 x 2 ) Samsung
Total Physical: 3 Gb
Available: 2.08 Gb
Total Virtual Memory: 6.28 Gb
Available Virtual Memory: 5.21 Gb
Page File Space: 3.29
Monitor: Packard Bell Visio Ws – with NVidia Geoforce 7050/NVidia nForce61
PSU: FSP Group. Model FSP250 – 60HEN
Motherboard: make unknown
BIOS: American Megatrends PBDV10.P17 (Denver 10)

Attachments

• GRMinidump.zip
    183.1 KB · Views: 2
Okay, by the fact that reinstalling Windowws did not bring about repair the issue is probably hardware.

I am concerned about your power supply because one thing we know here at TechSpot about power supplies is that often when they are built by third parties such as Dell, HP, Packard Bell, etc. that they are junk.

Secondly, since your OS is 32-bit it will not recognize or utilize a full 4 gigs of RAM. Try taking out two sticks and run it. What are the results?

Vista is 32 bit.
RAM is two sticks of 2 gigs (only two slots)
I have tried taking one out, moving it to the other slot and repeating the process with the other stick, with no discernible results. Have run Memtest overnight with no reported problems.
If it is hardware, how do I find out what?

How many Passes did you run memtest?

Find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Can't find voltages - nothing on RAM cards and nothing in BIOS. However, they were factory installed and things worked well for the best part of two years.
Memtest: ran it again yesterday for 15 hours and 18+ passes. No errors.
When I rebooted the machine this morning, it crashed as soon as I clicked on my User Account icon and again some minutes later when my wife tried to access the internet.
The situation seems to be worsening.
Whilst looking at BIOS, I noted the temperatures as there seemed to be more whirring than usual.
CPU temperature = 49 C/ 120 F
System temperature = 36 C / 96 F
Fan speed = 2966

Thanks again for your help,
G

Back