Random power issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have one for you today.
I rebuilt my computer to add watercooling. System was working before afterward would not power. Pulled alot, switched cpu, pulled CPU block, pull all mem but 1 stick, reset CMOS, etc. Finally got to a place where is was just letting out one single, never ending tone until I pulled the video card.
Great. Fried a vid some how. So after trying an older vid it worked so I ordered a new 8800gt put on the WC block and it worked.
Very happily reassembled everything else. Joyfully hit the power button so I could play some Hellgate and . . . nothing.
Cursed loudly. Then started pulling everything again.
Finally got it to turn on without a floppy cable. Shrugged and put everything back in. And hit the power. Now it wont turn on again. (scream some more about my computer's questionable parentage).
Then it would start again after pulling my sound card and it is currently on.

Left the machine on when I went to work. I hope it's still on now. I ran anti-virus, spam, and CCleaner.

So, what is going on here? My two thoughts are: motherboard? (but once it's up seems to work) Power supply? (a seasonic, but hey, even they fail). What else?

Any and all help appreciated.

Would boot into everything including Mass Effect & Hellgate. Side note, my OC 5000+ only gets up to about 38 C with the WC and my 800gt OC is only hitting about 37-40 C. Nice. Now If it will only power on by command.

what is u're PSU, did u over do the power requirement the PSU will produce when u put the WC unit in?

I don't think so. I have a seasonic 550W. And it was doing this when I only had the pump, MB, vid, cd, and 1 hard drive.
Then again, it could be flaking out on me. What's your thinking?

Ok, I have one for you today.
I rebuilt my computer to add watercooling. System was working before afterward would not power.

You say it was working before you added Water Cooling but now you've added it the comp is not powering up, common sense tells you that the PSU isn't powerful enough and you may have damaged it in some way.

Now when you remove a lot of Hardware it still doesn't power up, looks like it may have packed in because it may have been under so much stress to produce the power that it simply couldn't provide.

I believe you also overclocked the CPU and GPU which obviously needs more power, my guess would be a Multi Rail PSU around 700-900 watts maybe to power all that.

EDIT: Research on the parts shows me that the CPU you use would need around 65-100W that would be normal without overclock i think. Maybe someone could confirm this but that shows you that the system needs a bit more juice to work with the Water Cooling.
And according to this the Graphics card needs quite a bit of power as well - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/246015-15-8800gt

Ok, here is an extra bit of weirdness. The machine seems to work when I unplug my sound card. Is it possible that the sound card is a problem. It's an audigy 2 and I'm running vista 64 - I heard that there are some problems with that as well.

I'm not sure if I am taxing the power supply. I have an intelligent UPS and it says that the whole machine is only pulling 120w.

But I'm open to the idea that I need something stronger.

But I checked the load at eXtreme Power Supply Calculator and it only comes up to 399 watts (with the water cooling pump). That leaves me a reasonable gap. I can understand if it was a cheap power supply, but the extra efficient Seasonics were supposed to be better than that (or so I thought).

U're UPS will always show that when the system is powered no matter what the power requirement is to the PSU. it only means the wall plug is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back