Random reboots, no BSOD, ATI display driver likely cause

Hello,

So I got a new system yesterday, and I am nearing my limit in trying to figure out a solution to this problem.

The specs are below; computer is great, runs great, though randomly it has been restarting without any notice, no error messages, no BSOD, straight to restart.

After spending many hours trying to figure out the problem, I realized it was the ATI driver (99% certain), b/c :

-Insalled Win XP sp3, Ubuntu 11.04, and fresh Win 7 ----> All work great, until ATI catalyst is installed or meaning to say the ATI display driver is.

-I have tried installing factory drivers from CD, manufacturer's (msi) latest drivers from site, and 8 previous versions of catalyst/display driver from AMD site

Even as of right now, my computer won't randomly restart as long as I don't have the ATI driver installed. I thought w/ every different version of the driver "maybe this will be the one" ---> (few mins to hours later) -> randomly reboot

I just want to be able to display full 1920 x 1080 resolution via HDMI along w/ audio on my monitor's speakers, and to be able to play GAMES! (b/c w/o a proper display driver I can't)

I really don't know what to do now, is there any other driver that I can use? Or could it be another problem? Perhaps, I have a low PSU (350w)? or some other HW/driver conflict that I'm not aware of?

Thank you in advance
-------------------------
System specs

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD A8-3850 / Radeon HD 6550D
msi A75MA-G55 (MS-7696) / 2011 BIOS
ASUS VH242H 24" Monitor via HDMI
Seagate 2 TB SATA HDD
16.0 GB DDR3 RAM
350w

Did you disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS? If not do so and try running with just the 6550.

I'm not sure I quite follow....the 6550D is actually integrated onto the A8-3850, its an APU.

My bad. I realized later that I misread and thus posted incorrectly. Go to the motherboard manufacture and see if they have a newer BIOS.

My bad. I realized later that I misread and thus posted incorrectly. Go to the motherboard manufacture and see if they have a newer BIOS.

No problem :) Do you really think it is a bios problem? The bios is quite new, 2011 actually. I haven't really looked for an update.

Let me research more because these Fusion chips are new. Are you updating the ATI drivers from your motherboard manufacture? That is your primary source.

Let me research more because these Fusion chips are new. Are you updating the ATI drivers from your motherboard manufacture? That is your primary source.

I've honestly tried all kinds of drivers. From the motherboard CD, from the msi website, from AMD-ATI website and never any luck.

Yeah the chips just came this year I believe, very new.

Thank you very much for all your help btw :)

Hi, didn't want to leave you hanging but I made a request for another regular here to look in on this thread and provide suggestions/advice.

Back