Random Video Loss

paynetrain007

Hello, I have a computer that I built last summer, now it has randomly begun to lose video signal and it won't come back until a computer restart. The cause seems to be totally random and I can't figure out what is wrong. I've flashed the bios on the motherboard to see if that was the problem but it is not. I have onboard graphics currently.

For clarification, is this issue happening with a dedicated video card that you removed and are now using onboard graphics, or is this problem occuring with just the onboard graphics?

Have you attempted to see if your video cables are securely connected?

It is happening with on-board graphics, Yes all the video cables are securely connected. I'm not so sure it is a video problem necessarily. The screen will randomly go black and the monitors will say no signal. The computer is still on and the video cables plugged in tightly. I'm not sure if its a video problem, a mother board problem, or some other issue possibly regarding memory. I'm hoping for someone whose possibly seen this before might have a solution.

on-board = motherboard problem either way.

first thing you should check is that it's not a monitor problem

second is to see if your pc is still responding - try pressing your power button only 1 time as you would when shutting down and see if it is responsive and completes the system shutdown

To add to what g3rsiu has advised it could be your power supply. Do you have a digital multimeter to test it?

The randomness also could be pointing to faulty RAM, but this is only a guess. No Blue Screens, correct?

it seems unresponsive after it happens. I am positive it is not a monitor problem. I doubt its a power supply problem, usually if its a power supply it wouldn't work at all, not just cut off. It either has to be a problem with the board, the on-board video, or the RAM, but I don't have the money to pick and choose replacing things. if its just the on-board video when I have the money to purchase a video card that should fix the problem, but if its the entire mobo then thats not gonna help. And if its the RAM then its really not gonna help. does anyone know how I can know for sure how to test it without poring money into it?

Hi

try this it might help you out in some way!
i read it earlier looks okay!
let me know what you think of it!

C:\Users\x\Desktop\QUE\Saved Web pages\How Can You Test a Motherboard Reviewing Motherboard Testing Software.mht

well the way to go about this is to test the pc in another environment to eliminate a partly the OS problem - use a bootable cd or usb stick to boot up some utilities and test the hdd and RAM memory

it could be your PSU also like route44 suggested . just 'cose it hangs the way it does doesnt exclude it

the basic idea behind your problem is that, from the way it hangs, something at the hardware level is causing a stop without the OS generating any errors ; your usual suspects let or cause the OS to generate some kind of error when failing. this not only makes it hard to diagnose but also points to something being broken at the hardware level and, without swapping parts around, it cant be diagnosed and / or repaired.

maybe you can afford to have the pc tested at a repair center or at lest seek someone that has a spare PSU to test with.

Back