Random WSOD appearing, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, my computer is an HP XP.

It's only about a year and a half old and ever since I installed an internet connection to it (around the same time I bought it), a WSOD appears and I have to restart the computer. This would happen even when I'm just browsing websites.

I've asked for help previously and they said it was either a virus, the computer overheating or something's fragmented. I think it is most likely a virus, but nothing has been alerted.

The screen would turn completely white and I wouldn't be able to do anything. No sound, nothing. Sometimes it would go into stripes.

It would be a great help if you could shed some light onto the problem. If there is anything else you need to know, just tell me! I'm quite new to this. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you suspect a virus is responsible, go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hope I'm doing this right, and to hear back from you soon. Thanks.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Your HJT log doesn`t look too bad. However, I`d like you to do the following.

Uninstall Viewpoint from add remove programmes in your control panel.

Stop this process in task manager ALCXMNTR.EXE and delete the bold file

C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE

Download the AVG Antirootkit programme. Disconnect from the net and install the programme, then restart your computer.

Run the programme and click the "Perform in-depth search." Allow AVG to complete the scan. The AVG scanner will give the "Rootkit path" Do not fix anything yet. Let me know what is found in your reply and I`ll instruct you on how to proceed. Reconnect to the net.

Download combofix.exe. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "Y" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

Attach the C:\combofix.txt to your next reply along with the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back