Range issue or other?

parmour

I have a AC750 Dual Band Router. I set up a laptop about 15 feet from the router. It is in a straight line from the router but does go through two walls. Two rooms away from the router. I have been having problems loading pages,getting timeouts and not being able to get my mail,etc. After I do a reboot of the router it works fine for a while then goes back to not loading pages,etc. If I move the laptop to the room the router is in it works fine. I have the latest firmware, it is a win 10 computer,is on 5.4 GHz and auto channel. I have messed around changing the channels but it did not make a difference. ( I really do not understand the differences of the channels, which would be better,etc and can find no documentation in the manual explaining it,) I have moved the router around ,different heights,positions but it really does not fix the problem, I have two other devices working off the 5.4 GHz, an Ipad and another win 10 laptop.They are working fine. I have a win7 laptop that the win 10 is going to be replacing and it works,loads pages,sends and recieves mail, perfectly on its 2.4 GHz connection and in the same spot. What do you think ?

The 5 GHz band really hates going through walls. I know your pain. In my house all computers and gaming consoles are wired and only phones and tables use the WiFi. Also I have two WiFi access points, the 5 GHz in the bedroom where I mostly use my phone and the 2.4 GHz in the living room for house guess to use.

Win/10 is notorious for bad WiFi drivers. Don't use the Win update, but
  • find the make/model of your wifi chip
  • then use the browser to find the website for the MAKE
  • and locate the download, support or firmware page
now download the correct driver for you chip MODEL that corresponds to your system Win/10 {32 vs 64}bit
and install it.

Back