Razer Blade Pro refresh: GTX 1080, Skylake, mechanical keys and same 0.88-inch profile

Jos

Staff

Razer’s Blade Pro laptop was originally released in 2011, billed as the first "true" gaming notebook with a sub-inch-thick form factor. But the 17.3-inch desktop replacement has been a bit on the sidelines in recent years as the company focused on updating the 14-inch variant and releasing its first ultrabook, the Razer Blade Stealth. That changes today.

Completely redesigned from ground up, Razer has unveiled a new Blade Pro laptop that manages to squeeze in an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 into the same 0.88-inch thick CNC aluminum chassis. That's a serious upgrade in graphics horsepower without increasing the laptop's overall thickness. The laptop also features a Core i7-6700HQ CPU replacing the Haswell processor in the outgoing model, up to 32 GB of DDR4 RAM, up to a 2TB PCIe SSD, and a 17.3-inch 3840x2160 IGZO IPS touch screen display with 100% Adobe RGB coverage and G-Sync support for silky smooth frame rates while gaming.

In terms of design the Blade Pro sports a characteristic slim, black chassis. At 3.5kg, it’s relatively heavy, but lighter than most other 17-inch gaming laptops. To keep it running cool, Razer has designed what they are calling the world's thinnest manufactured vapor chamber cooling solution in a laptop, as well as a custom fan design and a dynamic heat exchanger.

Aside from top of the line hardware specs, Razer has outfitted the laptop with its ultra-low profile mechanical key switches — which first debuted as an iPad Pro accessory back in July. The low-profile switches have a total travel of just 1.6mm, with an actuation point of 0.9mm and a reset point of 0.6mm. The keys require an actuation force of 65 grams, which is supposed to mimic the feel of a full-size mechanical keyboard. The keyboard and trackpad are also Powered by Razer Chroma RGB backlighting.

In terms of ports and connectivity you get one USB 3.1 Type-C with Thunderbolt 3, three standard USB 3.0 ports, an ethernet jack, HDMI 2.0, SDXC card reader, a 2.0MP Webcam, a headset jack, 802.11ac wireless, and Bluetooth 4.1.

As you’ve probably guessed by now all of these features won’t come in cheap. The new Razer Blade Pro will begin shipping in November starting at an eye watering $3700 ask will be available at razerzone.com and select retailers.

Permalink to story.

I still remember a certain poster telling me it would be IMPOSSIBLE to put a 1080 into a Razer just a couple months ago... Glad to see he was wrong :)

2TB SSD is also quite nice... any idea what brand it is? Samsung's 960 maybe?

Edit: Noticed it's actually 2 x 1TB SSDs in RAID 0

It's actually not a bad looking laptop, too bad the price point is as high as it is. Honestly it looks very reminiscent of something Apple would design and sell, priced accordingly as well. If it was all white it would pass for a Mac book, waiting for the Apple law firm of Cupertino to open yet another case of design infringement...

I still remember a certain poster telling me it would be IMPOSSIBLE to put a 1080 into a Razer just a couple months ago... Glad to see he was wrong :)

2TB SSD is also quite nice... any idea what brand it is? Samsung's 960 maybe?

Edit: Noticed it's actually 2 x 1TB SSDs in RAID 0
I don't know who that was but considering NV announced they were releasing mobile parts for 1060, 1070 and 1080 explicitly that would be odd if you couldn't find it in a laptop...

I don't know who that was but considering NV announced they were releasing mobile parts for 1060, 1070 and 1080 explicitly that would be odd if you couldn't find it in a laptop...
Well, that we knew... but someone posted that a "slim" laptop could never have a 1080 because the cooling system would be compromised. But it looks like that was wrong - this laptop is less than an inch thick and boasts a 1080... Makes my Alienware 18 look pretty insane now...

Well, that we knew... but someone posted that a "slim" laptop could never have a 1080 because the cooling system would be compromised. But it looks like that was wrong - this laptop is less than an inch thick and boasts a 1080... Makes my Alienware 18 look pretty insane now...
~ 1 inch is still thick in my book. I'm hoping for a 13-14" ultrabook with 1080p gaming performance.

But yes it is a decent improvement...

Probably pretty high... premium machines (if they're actually high quality as well) are pretty popular with the wealthy folk... notice how Apple keeps selling their MacBooks like crazy?

It's because APPLE is a name everyone wants to buy into (especially students with student loan money and no sense of the value of a dollar).

Razer? Who are they?

Last edited:
Back