Razer introduces two new analog gaming headsets

Greg S

Razer has released two new high-end gaming headsets, the Tiamat 7.1 V2 and Tiamat 2.2 V2. The Tiamat 7.1 V2 offers 7.1 surround sound using five discrete drivers in each ear cup, while the latter features dual 50mm drivers on each side intended for a great bass experience.

Both headsets feature the same adjustable unidirectional ECM microphone. The Tiamat 7.1 V2 is fully analog requiring five 3.5mm jacks to enable surround sound. It is bundled with a newly designed audio control unit so that each audio channel's volume can be adjusted independently. Switching between 7.1 and 2.0 channel sources can also be done on the fly. An audio pass through is also present to allow switching between external speakers and headset audio with a button press.

The Tiamat 2.2 V2 features inline audio controls instead of a dedicated control unit. Volume control via an analog wheel and a mute switch for the microphone can be found on the cord connected to the left earpiece.

The more expensive 7.1 channel version of the headset will also get you full RGB lighting. This also means a USB connection is required for power. The LEDs are controllable using Razer's Synapse software and can be synced with other Razer products that also use Synapse for their lighting.

The Tiamat 7.1 V2 retails for $199.99 while the Tiamat 2.2 V2 carries an MSRP of $129.99.

Permalink to story.

For those prices you could easily buy proper branded headphones and be far better off. Razer isn't synonymous with "good sounding audio devices".

7.1 in headphones seems like a scam. You can't get surround sound when speakers are couple of milimeters away from each other. They've put more focus into LEDs like that's gonna help anything. I could be wrong cause I don't have them, neither would I ever buy them.

For those prices you could easily buy proper branded headphones and be far better off. Razer isn't synonymous with "good sounding audio devices".

I have the first gen Razer Tiamat 7.1 and it is a really good product. The sound is phenomenal. I feel that most people have never experienced good surround headphones as most of the 7.1 headphones on the market are not true 7.1(Most are HRTF based trickery)
The Tiamat as separate drivers for all the different channels, and it sounds much like if you had a 7.1 speaker setup, except that nobody else gets to hear it except you.
One of the serious downsides to the Tiamat is that it requires a proper 7.1 surround sound card, and these are normally expensive. My wish is that they would include a decent usb soundcard with the Tiamat, like some other manufactuers do, so that you can then choose between usb or analog connectivity.

I have the first gen Razer Tiamat 7.1 and it is a really good product. The sound is phenomenal. I feel that most people have never experienced good surround headphones as most of the 7.1 headphones on the market are not true 7.1(Most are HRTF based trickery)
The Tiamat as separate drivers for all the different channels, and it sounds much like if you had a 7.1 speaker setup, except that nobody else gets to hear it except you.
One of the serious downsides to the Tiamat is that it requires a proper 7.1 surround sound card, and these are normally expensive. My wish is that they would include a decent usb soundcard with the Tiamat, like some other manufactuers do, so that you can then choose between usb or analog connectivity.

I was just typing the same thing before you posted that!! I have the first one for about 4 years now tried many headsets to replace it, but the 7.1 is truly phenomenal. recently bought a Steelseries Siberia 650 in Amazon sales but sent it back as none of this virtual 7.1 even comes close to the Tiamat 7.1 you really need to experience it to believe it though, I did also buy a Asus Phoebus soundcard with mine to..

Yes general sound quality is not as good as others of the same price bracket and Mic could definitely be better, but given what this headset is, its kinda in a market of its own as no one makes anything like this.

7.1 in headphones seems like a scam. You can't get surround sound when speakers are couple of milimeters away from each other. They've put more focus into LEDs like that's gonna help anything. I could be wrong cause I don't have them, neither would I ever buy them.

I'm going to go with the you're wrong. It comes down to controlling the angle and power that audio waves hit your ears. There are two methods commonly used, virtual and true surround. In this case they are doing true surround which means there are multiple speakers in each headphone. However, I don't know what the quality of the speakers are in these Razers.

I have a pair of Sennheiser's Headsets which does virtual surround and I was actually surprised at how well they did on the virtual surround.

I have the first gen Razer Tiamat 7.1 and it is a really good product. The sound is phenomenal.
No sorry, don't spout that nonsense, they sound terrible, they are the worst sounding headset I've ever listened to for their price, and my bro went all out and spent a fortune on a decent sound card as well. The surround sound effect works very well, I'll give you that, and they sound pretty good when playing an fps game which is very atmospheric, but it sounded terrible for music, car games, movies and pretty much everything else.

Last edited:
They are gaming oriented and I suppose for that task they perform fine. Audio preference is very personal thing and sound is perceived differently every individual hence I've always stated and always will, that there is no such thing as an audiophile. You love your Razer headset and it's sound signature, great, that's all that counts then. Personally I would never, ever buy anything audio related (not inbuilt DAC's & amps obviously) before trying them out first even if so called 'audiophiles' rate them 11/10.

Last edited:
Yup, I got me a pair of Sennheiser Headsets.
I've never had much luck with their products reliability wise but thankfully when they failed, they've always failed within the warranty period so I could get them replaced and they don't hum and haw about replacing them either. A good thing.

Last edited:
No sorry, don't spout that nonsense, they sound terrible, they are the worst sounding headset I've ever listened to for their price, and my bro went all out and spent a fortune on a decent sound card as well. The surround sound effect works very well, I'll give you that, and they sound pretty good when playing an fps game which is very atmospheric, but it sounded terrible for music, car games, movies and pretty much everything else.
Audio is very personal and individualistic. What sounds like magic to you might sound like a cacophonous racket to another and visa versa. See my reply to Steed two posts above.

I've never had much luck with their products reliability wise but thankfully when they failed, they've always failed within the warranty period so I could get them replaced and they don't hum and haw about replacing them either. A good thing.

The only thing that has broken on mine is the mic boom stick. The ear piece can tilt inwards and the boom would be getting pushed against the headband. I need to reinforce with some metal still.

The only thing that has broken on mine is the mic boom stick. The ear piece can tilt inwards and the boom would be getting pushed against the headband. I need to reinforce with some metal still.
If you use a mic a lot, it's better to remove the inbuilt mic altogether and invest in a 'cheapo' lav mic. They all sound and perform a lot better than any all-in-one solution. (Lav = lavalier)

Audio is very personal and individualistic. What sounds like magic to you might sound like a cacophonous racket to another and visa versa. See my reply to Steed two posts above.
See, I only agree up to a point, cheap headphones generally sound bad, the highs are tinny, the lows don't exist, everything is muffled, that's just how they sound, unless you're deaf, you will notice a quality difference between a really cheap pair of headphones and some that are a bit more expensive. The Razor Tiamat 7.1 (first gen at least) seems to be 5 very cheap drivers in each ear cup, you can hear how bad they are clear as day. Sure, the surround sound effect is very good, I've got to give it to Razer for that but the actual sound quality is terrible for such an expensive head set, I would actually buy these if they were double the price but didn't use the worst drivers they could cram in.

Back