Razer shows off triple monitor gaming laptop and gaming projector

William Gayde

Staff

What started with simple RGB lighting on peripherals a few years ago, has grown into an entirely new market in itself. Gaming immersion seems to be Razer's theme this year at CES 2017 and they are showing two unique new product concepts that are sure meant to raise some eyebrows.

Project Valerie looks like someone just photoshopped two more monitors onto a gaming laptop, but Razer believes this will be a real product they'll offer in the near future. Based on the current Razer Blade Pro, the Valerie laptop features three 17.3 inch 4K G-Sync compatible monitors that automatically extend and swivel inwards for a 180 degree viewing environment. Content creators will appreciate the 100% Adobe RGB color accuracy and while not in use, the three displays will slide in behind the main screen. The body of the laptop features a unibody CNC aluminum chassis, weighing in at less than 12 pounds. No word on a price point or release date for this 12K resolution gaming laptop yet.

The second prototype focuses on Razer's Chroma Lighting which has been made available to third parties for integration in games and future products. Building on this, Razer has created what they are calling a gaming projector. Project Ariana will consist of "video projection, multi-color lighting and the responsive intelligence of our Razer Chroma engine," said Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan.

The projector will communicate with games in real time to create both lighting and video effects that will be projected onto a wall behind the computer. The projector features sensors that will scan the room first to create a layout, then using a fisheye lens, Ariana will display effects based on this profile. Whether or not total immersion is your thing, Razer does have some fairly unique products here. We'll be watching their evolution as they develop into actual offerings in the coming year or so.

Permalink to story.

It always seemed odd that Philips/TP Vision never brought out any Ambilight gaming monitors, clearly Razer is going to try and fill the gap.

The image auto correction for non flat surfaces is quite amazing. The monitor was the most immersion breaking component, but if Razer were to boost the luminance, then why the need for a monitor?

Three 4K displays aren't 12K, 3x3 (9 total) 4K displays would make a 12K setup.
The horizontal resolution of the setup would be 3840 x 3. I think it's strange how we went from calling full high definition 1080p when that was 1920 x 1080 (using the lower number to indicate resolution) to "4k" 3840 X 2160 (using the higher number of 3840 to indicate 4k)and nobody cared. You want to complain about resolution claims, complain about that. This would be a 11,520 x 2160 display. 12k if you are trying to claim it the way the industry went.

The horizontal resolution of the setup would be 3840 x 3. I think it's strange how we went from calling full high definition 1080p when that was 1920 x 1080 (using the lower number to indicate resolution) to "4k" 3840 X 2160 (using the higher number of 3840 to indicate 4k)and nobody cared. You want to complain about resolution claims, complain about that. This would be a 11,520 x 2160 display. 12k if you are trying to claim it the way the industry went.
I think it's nothing strange, so why should I complain? The wording changed, but it is mostly used in a consistent way. 9 times out of 10 "xK" means "almost x thousand horizontal pixels and a standard aspect ratio, probably 16:9 or 16:10". Maybe except for 2K, because I've seen this label used for 2560xXXXX displays, not regular FHD ones. But I've never encountered anyone naming a triple FHD surround a 6K setup. So no, I don't think it's the way industry went - regular "K" claims are implicitly refering to a common aspect ratio - 3K's I've seen are 1620p, 4Ks are 2160p, 5Ks are 2880p. Maybe not always, but I've rarely ever seen other cases.

Back