(re) Boot up help/question

learninmypc

On my W10.
It started a few days ago, I go to reboot, it comes to the RAID "scanning drives" screen then the next screen just shows the cursor blinking in the upper left corner. Then I'm forced to shut it down , boot it up & tap the ESC key to go to the boot menu , I tap enter & it boots up fine.
A normal re/boot up shows it scanning drives (a couple seconds) then the cursor blinking a couple times & to the Windows 10 screen, log in screen. I hope its nothing bad. When I've done a defrag, it shows disk health as good. I do not reboot unless absolutely necessary. TIA :)

Sounds like one of the raid devices is slow to spin-up and thus fails first boot attempt.

Get the SMART data for each of the raid HDs and look at the startup times

@jobeard when rebooting, would it be safer to tap the Esc key & go into the boot menu or see if it'll boot up & if not shut down & boot up?
I'm thinking either way I'll need boot menu, but don't know. Stumped :confused:as always.

If you take the route {shutdown followed by reboot OR immediate reboot} then the registry gets updated in the process.

However, if you poweroff to shutdown, that pulls the rug out from under the system and
there's no registry update and any mods to the registry get lost (nice if you suspect a virus).
This will also cause a notice "System did not shutdown cleanly, restart ???" - - choose Normally.

Back