Realtek unveils next-gen networking solutions, including Wi-Fi 7 and low-power 5GbE controllers

Tudor Cibean

Staff
Something to look forward to: At Computex 2023, Realtek showed off a slew of new controllers that will end up in upcoming PCs, including a wireless card with Wi-Fi 7 and Bluetooth 5.4 support and a more affordable 5GbE NIC with a relatively-low TDP.

Towards the end of the year, Realtek expects to release the RTL8922AE wireless card, which will support the latest Wi-Fi 7 and Bluetooth 5.4 standards. It will come in two variants – an M.2 2230 add-in card for desktops and notebooks and a 1620 solder-down module for more space-constrained applications.

Realtek's upcoming wireless card supports the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz frequency bands, with the latter two having a maximum PHY speed of 2,880Mbps. The module only supports channel widths up to 160MHz (half of what the standard is capable of), likely due to cost savings. Still, it managed to reach an impressive 1,948Mbps of throughput in the company's demo at the trade show.

It's worth noting that the IEEE expects to release the finalized Wi-Fi 7 (802.11be) specification just next year. This means that Realtek's solution is based on earlier draft standards and may not support all the features of certified Wi-Fi 7 products coming out later.

Realtek also showed off a few of its upcoming 5GbE controllers at Computex. Among them is the RTL8126-CG, a PCIe 3.0 x1 to 5GbE NIC offered in a fairly compact QFN56 8x8mm package. The company is advertising a power consumption below 1.5W, meaning that it won't require a heatsink, unlike most 10GbE solutions.

At the moment, most AMD AM5 and Intel LGA 1700 motherboards come with either 1GbE or 2.5GbE controllers, while a few high-end models include a 10GbE port for a substantial price hike. Realtek's new NIC would provide users with a more-affordable middle-ground solution.

Realtek didn't mention when products equipped with the RTL8126-CG chip would start shipping. However, both Asrock and MSI have unveiled refreshed Z790 motherboards with Wi-Fi 7 support and 5GbE ports at the trade show. Chances are that these will come out within the next few months, just before Intel's rumored Raptor Lake refresh.

Permalink to story.

If this radio doesn’t support the full features of Wi-Fi 7, and is based on a draft of 802.11be, can it be marketed as “Wi-Fi 7” or will it be a “802.11be chip” ?

Anything faster than GigE has been too expensive for far too long. 2.5-10Gb adapters are somewhat reasonable, but getting a switch for PCs with those adapters to connect to each other is stupid expensive. Then you've got to make sure to avoid Intel 225 and 226 chips or you'll be limited to GigE to keep a reliable connection. Maybe things will finally change.

I'm about past caring about "upgrades" to wireless speed. Each new version sounds faster until you realize the range is getting shorter and shorter, so unless you're close to in the same room you'll connect on the older protocols anyway.

I'm about past caring about "upgrades" to wireless speed. Each new version sounds faster until you realize the range is getting shorter and shorter, so unless you're close to in the same room you'll connect on the older protocols anyway.
It is true that higher frequencies mean less signal propagation ability, especially if the walls in your house or office are thick cinder block material.

But all is not lost. In fact, I would argue that if you have the ability to run Ethernet in your walls, you can deploy a few access points/mesh nodes connected via Ethernet backhaul throughout your space and eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones.

Then as you move throughout your space, and assuming your APs have the same SSID+password+authentication method, and your mobile devices have properly implemented IEEE 802.11k/r/v standard, they will seamlessly roam from AP to AP! No more dead zones! The APs don’t even need to be from the same manufacturer per se. I have deployed Asus + Ubiquiti APs in my space, and when the RSSI drops below a certain threshold, my devices roam! And the roaming is fast to the point where real-time applications such as video/voip calls don’t disconnect or lag when my devices roam from AP to AP I can walk around the house, go upstairs or outside and can see the BSSID transitions! And I remain on the speedy 5 Ghz network.

We may not be able to get around the limitations of radio wave physics, but we can deploy intelligently designed mesh networks, and let your mobile devices roam from to AP to AP.

Regarding Wi-Fi 7, one cool feature that it has to improve reliability and speed is multi link operation, allowing a client to Xmit on multiple frequencies (eg 5 GHz and 6 GHz) simultaneously. There are other cool features too, including but not limited to 320 MHz channels in the 6 GHz band, better QAM, etc.

Last edited:
Let the commercial world hammer out Wi-Fi 7
seems good - but the biggest potential user at an 8k TV 7.1 full HD audio at 60fps will have a direct connection for anyone that could afford it

Anything faster than GigE has been too expensive for far too long. 2.5-10Gb adapters are somewhat reasonable, but getting a switch for PCs with those adapters to connect to each other is stupid expensive. Then you've got to make sure to avoid Intel 225 and 226 chips or you'll be limited to GigE to keep a reliable connection. Maybe things will finally change.

I was looking at this yesterday and there are 5 port 2.5GB-E switches for around $100US. The 1 port NIC are only $20 or so. 10GB-E though is insane.

If these new 5GB-E NIC cards come out soon and are similar price to current 2.5GB-E NIC's, I may grab one even if I only operate it at 2.5GB for the foreseeable future.

Intel's reputation lately is in tatters in the network adapter scene so rubbish but cheap looks pretty compelling.
It seems there standalone NICs and the like are still pretty good, but the 2.5GB_E MB's chips are very problematic, I have one and will probably get a NIC to overcome the issues.

It is true that higher frequencies mean less signal propagation ability, especially if the walls in your house or office are thick cinder block material.

But all is not lost. In fact, I would argue that if you have the ability to run Ethernet in your walls, you can deploy a few access points/mesh nodes connected via Ethernet backhaul throughout your space and eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones.

Then as you move throughout your space, and assuming your APs have the same SSID+password+authentication method, and your mobile devices have properly implemented IEEE 802.11k/r/v standard, they will seamlessly roam from AP to AP! No more dead zones! The APs don’t even need to be from the same manufacturer per se. I have deployed Asus + Ubiquiti APs in my space, and when the RSSI drops below a certain threshold, my devices roam! And the roaming is fast to the point where real-time applications such as video/voip calls don’t disconnect or lag when my devices roam from AP to AP I can walk around the house, go upstairs or outside and can see the BSSID transitions! And I remain on the speedy 5 Ghz network.

We may not be able to get around the limitations of radio wave physics, but we can deploy intelligently designed mesh networks, and let your mobile devices roam from to AP to AP.

Regarding Wi-Fi 7, one cool feature that it has to improve reliability and speed is multi link operation, allowing a client to Xmit on multiple frequencies (eg 5 GHz and 6 GHz) simultaneously. There are other cool features too, including but not limited to 320 MHz channels in the 6 GHz band, better QAM, etc.
To be honest, if you can put Ethernet in your walls, your WiFi use will be limited to phones and laptops while disconnected I would imagine (and any other devices which really aren't speed sensitive)

Wifi7 with no 320Mhz channel width means it’s destined for failure and it will have no tangible bandwidth improvement compared to all the Wifi6/6e based cards out there.

To be honest, if you can put Ethernet in your walls, your WiFi use will be limited to phones and laptops while disconnected I would imagine (and any other devices which really aren't speed sensitive)
Laptops, phones, game consoles can still use Wi-Fi and consume a lot of data when streaming 4K video or gaming (downloading updates etc.) or on video calls for hours.

Putting Ethernet in the walls adds a ton of flexibility for sure. Including the ability to support a mesh network will multiple APs carefully placed throughout the space ( and properly frequency tuned to minimize co channel interference). This makes for a much better Wi-Fi experience, especially in areas that might naturally have spotty Wi-Fi coverage. It’s a beautiful thing when you move from floor to floor and your devices roam, and wifi coverage remains strong!

Back