Reboot & select proper boot device or insert..

Till yesterday everything was fine. Today when I tried to run my computer following message appeared on my screen; 'Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device' I completely have no idea what the problem is as it happened to me for the first time.. My HDD is working/running but somehow I think my computer its not reading it, no clue why. Maybe its SATA cable fault?
I have no idea how to check where the problem comes from?

Can someone help?

Sorry for my English. Hopefully u know what I mean..

Did you check the boot priority in BIOS? It should be HDD first.
Still, you can try another SATA cable just to try if it is ok,

yes it is at the first place.. I just order SATA cable so as soon as it comes we will see if it gonna fix the problem. hopefully yes..

Just got new sata cable but... unfortunetely it didnt fix the problem I have.. so I have no idea whats goin on. Perhaps hard drive fu*ked up.. but how come.. one days is working fine then next day it doesnt at all..

I had something like that happen for a while, one day it works, the next day it doesn't. For me the hard drive was not the problem as it ran fine on another computer.

If you have an old hard drive around, try plugging it in and installing a Linux distro on it. If you manage to load it then the problem was with the old hard drive. If it does not recognize the new drive, then problem is probably with your motherboard.

I ended up replacing the motherboard, but that's probably not the solution you want to hear. =)

Yes u right. I dont even wanna hear something like this ;) I have another hard drive but its ATA not SATA so I still cant check the SATA connection.. ATA HDD is working when I plugged it in. And the worst is that 'all' of my friends around dont use pc, only laptops and I cant find any1 with pc who could lend me hdd to check it on my pc..

You could always get an external enclosure or a USB docking station, install your SATA drive and see if it can be read by your friend's laptop. If so, copy any data files you want saved, put the SATA drive back into your PC and reinstall Windows. Do a full format (instead of a quick format) and if Windows reports any bad sectors, I would replace the hard drive. If no bad sectors are reported, you should be good to go once Windows is reinstalled.

So the computer recognizes the ATA drive, but not the SATA drive?
Could still be problem with the mobo if the SATA controller died.

An enclosure is relatively cheap, probably about 20 bucks, that would allow you to see if your hard drive is the problem. If your friends' computers can't read the drive in the enclosure, then problem is the drive. Buy new drive.

If their computers read the data on the drive, then chances are the problem is with your motherboard.

Worst case scenario you have to get motherboard and HD, but with the enclosure step suggested by mailpup, you can probably figure out which one it is.

Yes, my computer recognizes hard drive with ATA connection and as I had no chance to check SATA, I cant say its SATA controller fault. Hopefully its not..

I can add that my computer used to work everyday 24/7 - can it be the reason my hard drive stopped working? Weird thing is that I can hear my hard drive running but its not recognized by computer.

Just because the hard drive appears to be spinning doesn't automatically mean it works.

Back