Recommendations for web/POP3/SMTP e-mail providers?

wiyosaya

I am about to switch my ISP, and I have been using their POP3/SMTP mail server that also has a web interface. I am using Thunderbird as an e-mail client. This is for personal e-mail use rather than professional.

I only need POP3 access as I do not synchronize my e-mail across devices, and for when I do not have access to my PC, the web interface lets me read my e-mail until I download it.

I am aware of articles like https://www.ecloudbuzz.com/best-free-email-service-providers/ that list the top e-mail services.

Given that the TS community often has knowledge beyond what articles like the above provide, does anyone have any recommendations for an email provider with the following requirements:
  1. Web access
  2. POP3/SMTP access
  3. Minimal storage requirements - but my current provider has a 100 MB limit that I have never hit
  4. Free is preferred, but I am willing to pay if it the service is a quality service
Thanks in advance!

Web access
  1. POP3/SMTP access
  2. Minimal storage requirements - but my current provider has a 100 MB limit that I have never hit
the READ side has an alternative: IMAP, whereas ALL SENDing is via SMTP

The storage limits apply only until the POP3 client (TB) does it's download, so the only risk is where you go on an extended vacation and do not access via TB.

The IMAP choice however is limited forever as content never downloads to your PC. This is what allows multiple devices WEB access to your account w/o sync. There's an interesting side effect to using IMAP: as the data is NOT on your PC or mobile device, there's no need for email backups and if your device goes belly-up, who cares as you can still access all the data with any WEB browser

the READ side has an alternative: IMAP, whereas ALL SENDing is via SMTP

The IMAP choice however is limited forever as content never downloads to your PC. This is what allows multiple devices WEB access to your account w/o sync. There's an interesting side effect to using IMAP: as the data is NOT on your PC or mobile device, there's no need for email backups and if your device goes belly-up, who cares as you can still access all the data with any WEB browser
I am staying away from IMAP. Call me paranoid if you like, but I just do not like the idea of having my e-mail permanently on someone's server. I get you can delete individual emails and whatnot. Also, the PC I use as my e-mail PC has an ssd in it, so I am not all that concerned about it going belly up.

The reason for web access is for times when I am away and I really need to access my e-mail which is rather rare.

I am also aware of google/yahoo/outlook, but I just don't trust them, either.

After I posted this, I found this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers which is much more comprehensive than any of the "10 Best" links I previously found.

Runbox has my interest. It's a paid service, but it sounds promising to me.

Back