Recommended Way To Password Protect a Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm searching for any recommendations on how to password protect a drive in Vista 64-bit. Aside from going into Admin Tools > Computer Management and removing the drive letter, does anyone know of a built-in or third-party program that can be used to only password protect it?

Encryption is not necessary. My data is not sensitive in that nature. There are just some things I would prefer that my child not have access to.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Chris

there are alot of good and free tools out...

compusec

you might google for truecrypt or gnupg... this will lead you to alot of useful programs.

There are a few tools available that are free and not free but will do the job.

The one Ive used for a while is Folder Guard Pro. You can password protect files and also you can set the file to look empty eg right clicking it shows that its got nothing in and also make it invisible outside the folder guard program.
However its not free $30-$50

However there are Free Alternatives however i havent used them so i cant comment there

Another way would be to Zip the folder with something like 7-Zip and then adding a password through there, but its the fuss of unzipping every time but its up to you.

I'm sure this should be something to add to Windows though. Its something a lot of people ask to do but they still haven't come up with their own slant on things.

add password to all accounts, then create new account(s) for the kids.
check the box, Make this account private.

for your old account(s), you can delete the <everyone> group from the NTFS to
make that folder and all sub folders private.

yes thats a good advise but also easier to "hack" for the todays kids.
but sometimes the simple it is the better it works... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back