Red Dead Online exits beta on the back of a massive update

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Red Dead Redemption 2’s multiplayer mode, Red Dead Online, rolls out of beta this week with a substantial update that adds even more content to the already packed game. If you've been waiting for Rockstar's horse opera to add a bit more polish, your wish has been granted.

New Land of Opportunities co-op missions are available for both honorable and dishonorable players. Those who follow the Gunslinger path will battle the Del Lobos gang and help Marshall Davies save Valentine while players heading down the Outlaw route will assist Samson Finch in a highway robbery and pull off a heist at the Saint Denis Bank.

Both paths lead to “a rendezvous in Blackwater with a dangerous adversary,” Rockstar said.

Players will also have access to new Free Roam Missions complete with characters from the main story line in addition to three new Posse Versus Challenges. Compete to see who can nab the biggest catch in the Biggest Fish Contest, bag the most birds in the Bird Shooting Contest or…. gather the most plants in the Herb Picking Contest (yeah, apparently that’s a real thing).

Rockstar has also added poker tables to five locations: Blackwater, Tumbleweed, Valentine, Flatneck Station and Saint Denis. Here, you’ll be able to challenge friends in private, invite-only games or take a seat at a public table where the stakes are even higher.

Red Dead Online players will now have the option to choose how they interact with other players inside the game world thanks to new Offensive and Defensive playing styles.

Offensive mode allows players to interact with others as they normally would, leaving them free to engage in conflict with others. This is the default mode. For those that would rather explore the world without fear, there’s Defensive mode. In this mode, indicated by a shield icon, players will take less damage from enemies, cannot be melee attacked, lassoed, executed or targeted with auto-aim.

Other quick-hit changes include increased gold payouts, a new control scheme, new awards, global signal timers and faster weapon swaps, just to name a few.

The full changelog can be found over on Rockstar’s website or you can simply dive into Red Dead Online and discover what’s new on your own.

Permalink to story.

Any PC version news?

When the PC can emulate a PS4 or Xbox One.

Edit: I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't make and sell a XBox App for PC. The XBox one is running a modded version of Windows 10 so it couldn't be too hard. It can't be because they want to sell more consoles...those are sold at a loss.

Last edited:
Any PC version news?

When the PC can emulate a PS4 or Xbox One.

Edit: I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't make and sell a XBox App for PC. The XBox one is running a modded version of Windows 10 so it couldn't be too hard. It can't be because they want to sell more consoles...those are sold at a loss.

As A MSFT insider your mistakenly wrong. the Xbox is running a full version of the Windows 10 64 bit Kernel. If you read the news the Xbox App has been out on the PC for sometime now they have been testing games IE Sea of thieves from PC to Xbox. I can play on PC and play with user online on the Xbox LIVE service. Vice verses MSFT has been very business with updating Windows 10 and the Windows 10 for Xbox. On my One X I get at 4k 60 FPS. I own both a PC and One X and a one S

Back