Red x on speaker icon

Hi, there's a red X icon on my speaker icon, saying "no audio output device available".
opened msinfo32 and saw on problematic devices -
"
High Definition Audio Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A348&SUBSYS_36EB17AA&REV_10\3&11583659&1&FB
This device cannot start.
"
I'll be happy for some help. thank you !

First, I would check connections - sometimes a plug gets loose.
If that doesn't do it, I would look at any switches or level adjustments in hardware (physical switches) and in the operation system to make sure that things are 'on' and not muted (Settings / Sound).
Then I would left click on 'speaker icon' and run Troubleshooting.
Please describe what you learn from this.
Also, confirming operating system and basics about your system could help too.

First, I would check connections - sometimes a plug gets loose.
If that doesn't do it, I would look at any switches or level adjustments in hardware (physical switches) and in the operation system to make sure that things are 'on' and not muted (Settings / Sound).
Then I would left click on 'speaker icon' and run Troubleshooting.
Please describe what you learn from this.
Also, confirming operating system and basics about your system could help too.

windows 10, lenovo ideacentre 510-ICB
tried all of the above with no help. the troubleshooting won't find the problem's resolving
also when I go on devmgmt.msc, under sound category I only have - "unsupported standard game port" without realtek\intel section

@ellli If there is a "device won't start" error, there is always the possibility of corrupted driver software.

You can uninstall the audio driver, and either reinstall it from the restore discs which came with the machine, or have Windows search the web for the latest driver.

In your case, with a pre-built machine, you would go to Lenovo's website to get the necessary driver software.

The HDMI video driver, should be available directly from Intel. This is because the graphics are inside the CPU, while there is a separate Realtek sound chipset on the motherboard.

Keep in mind, as soon as you see "Intel", in an error message about a sound problem, the video driver could be the problem, as HDMI sound is produced by the Intel video driver, not the Realtek. Although, both drivers are required to be working for the overall sound effects of the machine. (IE Intel's video driver doesn't produce the sounds with which Windows continually annoys us).

Last edited:
Back