Reddit users are almost worthless compared to other social networks

William Gayde

TS Addict
Staff member

In their latest round of funding, Reddit raised $300 million from investors at a valuation of $3 billion. A large portion of this came from Chinese tech giant Tencent and this made many users upset over potential censorship on the site. These investment talks have highlighted Reddit's current financial and user numbers, and things don't look too good.

Reddit's latest annual revenue was roughly $100 million and they currently have 330 million monthly active users (MAUs). Analysts at CNBC along with sources familiar to the matter put Reddit's ARPU at the lowest of any social network.

Although not all companies publish their ARPU numbers, Twitter is believed to have the highest ARPU among social networks. Despite having slightly fewer MAUs than Reddit at 321 million, they brought in more than 30 times the revenue of Reddit at just over $3 billion. While Facebook on the other hand has almost 10 times the users of Twitter with an MAU of 2.3 billion, their ARPU is lower at $7.37.

This shows just how well Twitter is able to monetize their users and the data they can collect about them.

For their part, Reddit believes their unique access to user demographics will entice advertisers. Reddit can build a very accurate profile of a user based on the subreddits they are subscribed to. They have also stated that half of their users are between 18 and 24 which is a very valuable age category for advertisers.

Permalink to story.

wiyosaya

TS Evangelist
Worth less in monetary terms maybe, but I would not be surprised if the overall intelligence of reddit users is greater. After all, there has to be a reason they are worth less, and one reason I can think of is that they are not as easily duped into buying effluvium.

Advertisers want people they can hypnotize. All others are useless to them.

psycros

TS Evangelist
Worth less in monetary terms maybe, but I would not be surprised if the overall intelligence of reddit users is greater. After all, there has to be a reason they are worth less, and one reason I can think of is that they are not as easily duped into buying effluvium.

The next Internet billionaire will sell a cheap service that fabricates your online identity and spoofs or scrubs all the spying data. Google, the government and the rest of the usual suspects will try to stop it but they will fail. Virtual Online Identities are the only way forward. If Google and the rest of the data mongers collapse because we decided to take back our privacy, good riddance.

How did you jump to the conclusion that redditers are more intelligent because they are worth less? You do realize that money and intelligence are often correlated right? And as a person who frequents Reddit, I am of the opinion that the average Redditer is probably not much smarter than your average internet netizen who comments on Yahoo or Tweets on Twitter.

And the article states that half of redditers are younger teenagers to mid twenties something - people who haven't had a real job for any length of time and thus haven't made enough money to be worth much.

Reactions: hahahanoobs

Axle Grease

TS Addict

No, no, no! Go with the title. Reddit users are almost worthless. Not "worth less", but worthless"; meaning that they have almost no worth.

It just rings true.

wiyosaya

TS Evangelist
The next Internet billionaire will sell a cheap service that fabricates your online identity and spoofs or scrubs all the spying data. Google, the government and the rest of the usual suspects will try to stop it but they will fail. Virtual Online Identities are the only way forward. If Google and the rest of the data mongers collapse because we decided to take back our privacy, good riddance.
Sounds like the basis for a business plan! :laughing:

FPSChris

TS Enthusiast
PCMR is very tame by reddit standards
The vision of 16 y old kids all preaching the same religion, considering a console player as an inferior creature, plus repeating over and over that PCs "can do this and that". It was an atrocious place to visit.
He says, with a username like that :D
It's just banter that's been lost over the years, the generation don't get it and just hate on console.
I hate on console because they are inferior peasants /s

Just kidding, console is as big to me today as it was in 1988 but I do prefer PC gaming these days as there's a lot more for a person of my requirements on that platform.
Can't beat a couch potato console session though for comfort.

144hzGamer

TS Addict
It's just banter that's been lost over the years, the generation don't get it and just hate on console.

Just kidding, console is as big to me today as it was in 1988 but I do prefer PC gaming these days as there's a lot more for a person of my requirements on that platform.
Well I prefer PC too, as you can see on my nickname, 144hz gaming is an amazing experience that consoles cant deliver. However PC cant deliver good multiplayer experiences in sports games, fighting games, or lacks great AAA exclusives. Both platforms are amazing and even with the whole PCMR being a joke, is a bad one imo.

GeforcerFX

TS Evangelist

I'm the same way, play my older games on PC (and despite my name my desktop is a AMD APU) and play my triple A games on xbone.