Reddit users close much of site in revolt over firing

JoshuaHem

Update (7/4): After a few days of protests, most major subreddits are back online.

On Wednesday, Reddit hosted yet another of its popular AMAs, or Ask Me Anything, sessions. Reddit has cemented itself as one of the modern pillars of the internet with a userbase large enough to attract the attention of publicists and curious celebrities or important people alike. As a result, persons ranging from small-time authors and game developers to government officials and even the President of the United States have participated in an AMA session (link may be broken, see below for why). The person in question announces their presence on Reddit, often with some sort of confirmation of identity from the site's administrators and moderators, inviting users to prepare and vote on questions to be answered. Though it is usually impractical for the guest to answer all questions, they are usually able to answer quite a few.

To help organize the session and interface with the guest, Reddit's administrators hired Victoria Taylor as their Director of Communications. Beloved by the subreddit r/IAmA, a subreddit largely dedicated to AMAs, Victoria was largely responsible for facilitating AMAs with various famous persons. In fact, according to several, she was fundamentally vital to numerous sessions, both in the past and planned for the future. Recently, she was abruptly fired from the position without warning, resulting in a massive protest on the part of users and moderators of the site. No official reason has been given, but rumors are abound that the failure of Rev. Jesse Jackson's recent AMA from last Wednesday may have had something to do with it.

The protest has taken place largely in the form of user protests and moderators making several major subreddits private. When a subreddit is made private, only a select few are able to access it in any fashion. This means the subreddit is effectively closed to public and search engines alike, displaying a lockout page not unlike a 404. As the situation is rapidly advancing, the list of subreddits partaking in the protest is bound to change, but the largest and most common subreddits appear to be showing solidarity in the protest. If one were to visit Reddit's front page right now, you would note the disappearance of /r/Art, /r/gaming, /r/history, /r/science, /r/Music, /r/books, and many others.

As mentioned in a reddit post concerning the situation...

...there is a feeling among many of the moderators of reddit that the admins do not respect the work that is put in by the thousands of unpaid volunteers who maintain the communities of the 9,656 active subreddits, which they feel is expressed by, among other things, the lack of communication between them and the admins, and their disregard of the thousands of mods who keep reddit's communities going...

It is important to note that this protest is not solely over the firing of a beloved member of the Reddit administration. Though movements such as these are nebulous and multifaceted by nature, many users seem to consider this a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation, the final incident that brought an underlying issue regarding communication and treatment of the site and its users by the administrators.

As the event is still young, it is hard to see where it will go. As late as last year it was reported that Reddit had yet to achieve profitability as a business. If the major subreddits remain private in protest, Reddit could quickly lose the content that drives their more apathetic or unaware pageviews and, thus, revenue. If they don't respond in a satisfactory manner, the future of the site may be uncertain.

Permalink to story.

Isn't it amazing how completely disloyal the management of so many companies are? They constantly whine about not being able to find qualified, loyal and dedicated employee's yet they show their real colors when there is even a hint of controversy or problems. Serves Reddit right and hopefully so many users will abandoned it, leaving it in financial ruin where it belongs!

Why is it that useful things on the internet with a lot of user content/interaction (Reddit, YouTube, etc) end up getting bought out and going super corporate? People around the clock are trying to find new ways of monetizing everything. Every click or every view should not have to be some kind of profit generator.

Maybe not everything should be monetized. Maybe there should be enough money to keep the operation running and pay the creators/management decently, without having a CEO (who usually has minimal interest in the operation) making millions of dollars to talk at people and "appease the shareholders".

I wish more of these sites would remain independent of the big conglomerates, even if they have a huge user base. Not just internet sites. How about...everything? Stop getting bought out by big corporations? I guess it's not just an internet problem...

Why is it that useful things on the internet with a lot of user content/interaction (Reddit, YouTube, etc) end up getting bought out and going super corporate? People around the clock are trying to find new ways of monetizing everything. Every click or every view should not have to be some kind of profit generator.

Maybe not everything should be monetized. Maybe there should be enough money to keep the operation running and pay the creators/management decently, without having a CEO (who usually has minimal interest in the operation) making millions of dollars to talk at people and "appease the shareholders".

I wish more of these sites would remain independent of the big conglomerates, even if they have a huge user base. Not just internet sites. How about...everything? Stop getting bought out by big corporations? I guess it's not just an internet problem...

You're grossly oversimplifying the nature of business and the reason for acquisitions/public offerings. While I wholeheartedly agree that not everything should be monetized, you cannot maintain an abundance of large content providers (such as YouTube or Reddit) without a sufficiently skilled and staffed corporate structure to manage and position the product, especially in the present regulatory & competitive environment.

What's happening at Reddit isn't an example of the evils of corporate. It's a public demonstration of what happens when you put the wrong person in the driver's seat.

I think it's interesting how the reddit community has fought back against admins and other staff several times now. You don't see this as much on a lot of other social sites, and I don't think the admins/staff know what they've gotten themselves into.

If these people want to kill red go ahead and keep locking content. I don't really know why volunteers are so mad, no one is paying you, if you don't like it leave.

I see they they say users are treated poorly by admins. How so? I guess the lack of info in this article has me miffed. Someone got fired I get that but the poor treatment, examples?

"The top question stated that he is, 'an immoral, hate-filled race baiter that has figured out how to manipulate the political system for your own gain.'"

Sounds 100% accurate. Someone got fired for presenting that question (statement)?

Back