Reformatting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangesunit

I have recently decided to reformat my computer, as its getting old and slow. iv saved everything i need onto this (my other) computer, I was following a guide a friend wrote out for me. I started by inserting my Windows XP disc, and restarting, going into the bios menu, and changing my

First boot device from - SATA : 3m hitachi <numbers> to CD/DVD : PM-ATAPI D <numbers>

I was then told to remove my SATA from the whole list, so only my CD drive would be running, Then i restarted. I was told that it should come up with:

Press any key to boot from CD.

But i dont get that, i get:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert bot media in selected boot device and press enter.

if anyone could help that would be great. I know most of what my things are like my motherboard and stuff so if you need them just ask.

Many thanks

Scott

Anytime I have formatted a pc/hard drive the boot order I use is 1st cdrom, 2nd hard drive, 3rd floppy or removeable media if no floppy is installed. another thought, is the cd you are using a bootable cd (OEM) or is it an upgrade cd?

Ok, are you sure your cd drive is working? Is the CD you are using an original CD and do you know if it is an upgrade cd (meant to be installed on a pc with an operating system) or is it bootable (meant to be installed on a pc with no operating system)?

what interested me was "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert bot media in selected boot device and press enter."

Yes, im sure the drive is working.

The Disc i am inserting is -

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Includes Service pack 2 - Version 2002

For distribution with a new pc only for product support. Contact the manufacturer of your PC.

ok try this, go into the boot order menu and load optimized defaults for that page only. I believe it is F7..once that is done change the 1st boot device to cdrom and wherever cd rom was put the original 1st boot device there.

Do you have any friends that live near you or do you have an older OS that is a bootable disc you could try to load..not install..just see if it will boot another disc. If it will then there is a problem with the disc you are using.

You can also try this:

During the initial post you'll usually see options like 'Delete - Enter BIOS' or 'F4 - Network Boot'. There's also usually an option that says something like 'F8 - Boot Menu'. If you do see something like that then press the corresponding key.

That should bring up a menu loaded with all the devices that you can boot from. Select the optical drive that has your XP media and see if it works. And watch your drive lights to see if it's trying to access the media.

Check the XP disc to see if maybe there's some fingerprints or something else on the read surface that's keeping it from being read properly.

iv tried my windows 2000 edition, that didnt work either. tried the boot menu one, Selected my CD, Just blank then goes to windows.

Nothing wrong with the xp disc as this is the first time its come out the celephane wrapping package

I noticed you use a SATA HD. Is your CD/DVD drive on IDE? Is your SATA drive your boot drive???

If so, try setting your CD/DVD drive jumper to Master if it isn't already..

See if that helps.

IDE are the big grey cables used to hook up cd drives..hard drives...SATA uses much smaller cables.. If you can give me the make and model of the cd drive i'll try to explain how to set the jumper as best as I can.

How many hard drives do you have in your pc?

How many cd/dvd drives?

right, i cant get the cd drive model, cant see it anywhere, my hd model is hitachi deskstar.

theres a big flat grey cable going to my cd drive as well as 2 yellow, 4 black and 2 red wires, and 1 black and 1 red wire going to my hd

Ok that means your HD is SATA and your cd drive is IDE..If you are comfortable doing so I am going to supply steps for removing the cd drive..somewhere on the drive there should be jumper diagrams showing you the settings for Master, SLave or Cable select. You want to set the jumper to master if it isn't already.

Unplug the PC

Open the case

Either make a mental note or write down where everything is hooked in at for your cd drive/hard drive..we won't be disconnecting the hard drive though..just incase.

If you are replacing a CD-ROM, disconnect the controller cable(the big grey one), power connector(the different colored wires that run into a plug on the back of the cd drive) and audio connection (if present) from the back of the cd drive. Remove the retaining screws from the case and remove the drive.

(Resetting a drive's jumper is a simple matter of removing a plastic tab and sliding it onto a different set of posts) I have supplied a picture of what the jumper looks like on the back of the cd drive..it is just a reference picture..don't pay attention to where the jumper is set in the picture.

Make sure to remember where the jumper is set before you move it. Set the jumper to "Master" or "MA" if the drive will be the first or only drive on a controller. There should be a diagram of the jumper settings printed on the cd drive.

Insert the drive into the bay. Make sure it is right side up (the button should be under the drawer).

Secure the drive in place with the provided screws or rail inserts.

Reconnect the controller cable (the grey one..it only connects one way) to the drive

Reconnect the power to the drive.

Reconnect the audio wire (if one is being used)

Close the case.

Plug in the PC.

il have to try that tomorow mate, its getting late now, iv been trying this for 5 hours now, its 3 am. Thanks for all the advice and hopefully this will come in handy tomorow.

Sorry about the late reply. It happend to be BOTH my windows discs were faulty. Sent my newest one back. and expecting a new one very soon. Thanks for all your help.

Scott

I am glad the issue has been resolved. I figured it was the media because of the error message you got. "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press enter."

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was and that you resolved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back