Refreshed CPU

I just did an upgrade for my PC. I installed a new MB, ram and a CPU. After putting everything in, it will come on for a second and shut off. All the fans and lights will go on for that long second. I put in “Refreshed and fully tested” CPU. Does anyone think that could be my problem? All the cables and such are in right and everything looks ok. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Error disclosed by beep code? LED error display? Anything?

Is CPU supported by motherboard version of BIOS?

Did you use old boot drive? Did you re-partition? Clean install of OS?

I just did an upgrade for my PC. I installed a new MB, ram and a CPU. After putting everything in, it will come on for a second and shut off. All the fans and lights will go on for that long second. I put in “Refreshed and fully tested” CPU. Does anyone think that could be my problem? All the cables and such are in right and everything looks ok. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ok. I am getting the fans to work, but only for a second. The motherboards lights stay on as they should.
Error disclosed by beep code? LED error display? Anything?

Is CPU supported by motherboard version of BIOS?

Did you use old boot drive? Did you re-partition? Clean install of OS?

Ok. I planned on just using the SSD I was already using with windows 10 as the OS. I don’t know if the M/B supports the CPU. I put in a Asus prime z370-P 1151 socket. The CPU is an Intel 3.7 core i3. When I bought them I didn’t see anything about comparable bios.

A "new MB, ram and a CPU" and old case, old PSU, and old OS on the old boot drive which try to work but seems to end up in a boot loop.

Check to confirm that your CPU is on the QVL which is here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/HelpDesk_CPU/. If it is on the list, you might want to confirm that the BIOS version on your motherboard supports the CPU you have.

Reread your manual (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/HelpDesk_Manual/) to see if you missed something.

Consider well thought advice, like https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

Then you can try...

1. Reseat your RAM. Try boot

2. Reseat any cards. Try boot

3. Chipset on this is Z370 and unless the old board is the same, the old OS (Win10?) on your old boot drive can be confused by drivers that do not match. Solve by doing clean install of OS. Try boot

4. Confirm you have plenty of thermal paste available. Remove CPU and examine for bent pins. Correct any issue. Clean and reinstall with fresh paste (pea sized). Try boot.

5. At this point, you may want to get help. If you want to try further, remove everything from the case and rebuild 'on the bench'.

6. Swap parts with known good parts.

7. Following motherboard manual, do a part and test rebuild (add a part per manual and test - error should be for next part - if error is still for part you just installed then you have a probable culprit)

Last edited:
Well it seems that the CPU I bought is not on the Asus MB list. But would that not let the computer do a post? Thanks for your help. I learned to look best time. ?

POST - Power On Self-Test? ... if CPU is not "supported" by motherboard, I think it is a good bet that it will not POST. Sometimes it can (like Xeons which are virtual clones of i7's or if the chip includes the features and instructions of an earlier compatible version). I use an x5680 in a Dell Precision T3500 which was intended to use x3500 CPUs.

Ok, I put in the more compatible CPU. The computer will start now, but now it won’t load windows 10 which was working fine before I did the upgrade. I even tried loading a windows 7 disc, but it can’t seem to find any drivers to install it. I’ve never had problems like this in the past.

Ok, I put in the more compatible CPU. The computer will start now, but now it won’t load windows 10 which was working fine before I did the upgrade. I even tried loading a windows 7 disc, but it can’t seem to find any drivers to install it. I’ve never had problems like this in the past.

When a previously installed OS / disk is transplanted to a replacement motherboard /CPU /RAM and it fails to start the next step is reinstallation. Sometimes Windows can handle the setup with software to support the new configuration, not always.

If you want to keep anything from the OS drive you have, move it to another PC and transfer the files before continuing. Reattach it to the PC you're working on. You need to use another computer to grab a copy of Windows 10 USB/DVD "installer".

Download this tool, it turns a Windows 10 ISO (file) into a bootable USB/DVD installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Start that (I think it downloads the ISO - if not download it from links on the page) .
Next; Put the OS installer in the target computer, enter the BIOS and set it to boot from that device.

Save and Exit then restart the PC. Windows will do it's thing. If Windows doesn't begin the installation check the BIOS settings and try again, a continued failure is likely to be caused from making the USB/DVD, try that step again.

There really shouldn't be any errors - ETW around "an hour".

Back