Registry problem

chansavel

I had posted once already about my problem of the registry, I can log into yahoo but after I signed in it is blank, nothing appears at all. Please help tell me where I can get original registry script so I can install to get back it.

First I would make sure your firewall is not blocking the connection by switching it off and trying to connect. If it connects with the firewall off you need to add Yahoo to the exceptions.

If this does not work you need to check that your router does not have a firewall that could be blocking it.

Finally you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Yahoo.

There should be no need to edit the registry to get this working.

Let me know how you get on.

Well my firewall is always off. I did uninstall and reinstall yahoo messenger, yet problems has been got rid of. I cannot do anything with internet explorer 8, but I can surf internet without problem by using Firefox. It means my explorer is in trouble. However, I did uninstall and reinstall internet explorer 8 as well. Please check my attachment for the details.

Attachments

• My problem 1.JPG
    My problem 1.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 6
  • My problem 2.JPG
    My problem 2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 5
Tell me Chansavel, why do you choose to run without a firewall?

Do you have any anti virus running?

What OS and service pack level do you have?

Do you have Windows Update turned on?

I suspect that with no firewall you have a Malware infection but please answer the questions above first to evaluate your set up.

Hi Mark,

I did tell them about my problem but I doubt if they could catch up. Well, first, because of my kaspersky has been blocked, I was told by kaspersky teams to uninstall the software and reinstall it, and they all told me to remove some registries value as per following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\LicStorag
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography \RNG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\SPC\Certificates

Accidentally, I did remove some registry values beside those above-given values. As the result, I cannot surf internet using internet explorer 8 in stead of firefox. I am afraid it is because of my fault with accident deletes involved in registry.

Thanks for you value time to help me

Accidentally, I did remove some registry values beside those above-given values. As the result, I cannot surf internet using internet explorer 8 in stead of firefox. I am afraid it is because of my fault with accident deletes involved in registry
Try using System Restore to a point before you removed the registry entries. Any programs or updates you installed after that point may have to be reinstalled. One thing about System Restore is you can undo the restore if you don't like the results.

I rarely use Internet Explorer because Firefox works faster and better. If nothing else is wrong, and as you are not sure what you are doing, maybe things are better left as they are. I run registry repair utilities occasionally but I doubt if they put back what has been deleted in error. Problems in the Registry can make your computer stop working completely so it's best to keep out of it. System Restore, as mailpup suggests, is the best bet for full recovery. Make sure your system is secure with AV and Firewall protection. If Kaspersky is causing problems there are free alternatives you can download. (eg Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, etc.) So long as everything else seems OK and there's no virus infection things are not that bad. I'd certainly run some full scans to check that out.

Chansavel, I think you may have learned a few lessons from this experience.

When you edit the registry you should always do a registry back up first so you can reverse your edits if you make mistakes. Or, create a system restore point.

You should never run a system that has internet access without a firewall and an active fully updated Anti Virus.

Under the circumstances I would back up all your important files, run a full format on the drive which will delete any Malware and then start with a clean install of the OS.

You could still try System Restore (if it was switched on) but that will not help with any Malware you may have got while unprotected.

If you tell me what OS you have (as asked for earlier) I can tell you how to get to it.

I would get rid of Kaspersky and use Microsoft Security Essentials which is about as good as AV's get and it is free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us

Excellent advice. You'll be happier knowing everything is sorted and reassured that the system is clean. If there's precious information it's important to have a backup method for storage. A usb stick is a good and easy way.

By your response it appears you might not know how to use System Restore. If so, we can tell you how if you will only tell us what Windows version you are using. You have been asked more than once already.

Well thanks for your advices, as I had mentioned earlier I could not open system restore because it was always blank with the dialog box. I was using XP service pack 3. The only effective alternative is to format. And I'd like to know what are the impacts of a frequent format?

So long as you have the Windows XP installation disk you can either choose an option to repair your present installation which would leave your personal data untouched or you could choose a reinstallation of Windows which would require you to reinstall all your programs and personal files. You'd also need to download and install all the Windows updates. Neither of these procedures are something you are likely to do frequently and you should back up your personal data first. Some people regularly reinstall Windows to keep things running smoothly. I rely on the use of a utility like Glarysoft Utilities (free) and defragmenting the hard drive. You won't damage your computer but allow plenty of time as a fresh install takes hours. You could download the AV program you want to use and save that on a usb stick with your personal files.

Back