Removable hard drive seems to be unmountable

...though there may be something else at work here.
Mark56 at https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic171800.html said "It sounds like either the drive or the enclosure has failed." My problem seems to be the same thing as sythe827's.
I would like to add to what he's already said though. When I connect my drive, after time, it will make the unconnected noise, then the connected noise right after. The drive works, it spins, it sounds fine. It was working one day and not the next, so I know it isn't physical damage to the drive. I thought it was Windows, obviously, but trying it on another Windows 7 PC shows the same issue (even after I watched it install the drives) and the same goes for Windows XP. Though, I'd like to note, on XP, the drive shows up, but it's empty and in properties it shows as 100% used. In Windows 7, it shows in disk management, just as sythe827's, showing with no drive letter or label. It appears in the bottom section, but not the top. ( Computer Management started not responding when I plugged in the drive, which is why the picture is faded.
XStHu.png

Let me know if you need more information and I can try to give it to you. I've tried a partition program to repair the partition(s), but none are found, the same goes for a recovery program. (oh, it just did the unconnect/reconnect, haha.)

Edit: I went to My Computer and until the green bar was finished loading (takes forever), it looks like this:
OyC3s.png

then the drive disappeared when it had finished and it made the unconnected sound and didn't reconnect. I then removed it from my USB slot and this pops up
XEILj.png

it has been showing this whenever I remove it, since this issue started.

It looks like that whole rear assembly can be removed to expose a standard SATA connection. See if you can remove that back assembly. If it is SATA you will need both a SATA power and data cable

Ok it is a Western Digital passport drive USB and there is no outside the case connector. So the drive is probably toast. It is highly unlikely that the enclosure is bad... Thanks for your pics. Good luck :)

You could send it to Western Digital. Most major drive manufacturers have provisions for doing this... From now on, also keep important data on DVD's and lock them away

Data recovery is cheaper than it used to be. Can you buy another drive of the same type and place it in the old enclosure then set the "bad" drive aside for now?

Naa, I don't have the money for that right now. That drive is only 3 months old, you know. That's ridiculous. I'll buy Seagate in the future.

Alright, I'll take it down there. Do you happen to know if they do warranty stuff? It's probably either 30/90 days if they do. Either way, I'm near the 90 day mark, either + or -.

Edit: 2 year warranty with WD. Gonna call them up now.

I'm having a new one mailed to me by WD and then I have to mail this one to them. I didn't talk to anyone; ended up doing it on their website. I just hope the one they send me doesn't do the same thing in 4 months like this one.

Are they going to send you a complete new enclosure too? If they do, you may be able to salvage data

As far as I know, they're sending a complete drive, just like the one I have here. They call the enclosure the part that surrounds the drive, which (since I took it apart) is just all plastic. Technically my warranty is void because I opened it, but I'm hoping they can't tell that I did.

Back