Removing one the RAMs in a PC

abbasi

Hi all,

There are two RAMs in a PC. One of them is 1GB and another is 2GB. I want to remove that 2GB by opening the PC (case) and simply bring it out from its slot on the motherboard. Is it possible? And will not my OS and other components get damages?

Thanks.

Hey abbasi. Just be sure to touch a clean metal part of the pc case, unplug the pc and press the power on button a few times before removing the RAM.

... and press the power on button a few times before removing the RAM.

press the power on or off button?
And also I touch a clean metal (such as the door or something like that made by metal) before opening the case.

As already said unplug pc totally from the mains hold finger on power button for 20seconds then undo case hold on to clean metal casing whilst removing ram

I also only touch the edge of ram - only touching the side of the PCB (I.e. not touching any chips on the stick).

Don't leave the power connector in the mains when opening the computer!!!

Just touch the back metal part for 10 seconds that will stop static from being put on the components.

You want to remove 2GB, and leave 1GB in ????
Why ?

What is the operating system and what processor do you have ?

Don't leave the power connector in the mains when opening the computer!!!

Actually, I always leave the power connected into mains because otherwise your case isn't grounded. With the power plug connected, your case is held to ground by your power socket ground wire. Just turn the power point off for safety (and test it if you are really paranoid).

The ground adapter I mentioned does just that, provides a ground to the pc case ( as long as the power supply is still in the pc), but has no power connection to the mains.

The ground adapter I mentioned does just that, provides a ground to the pc case ( as long as the power supply is still in the pc), but has no power connection to the mains.
The PC case if isolated can float to an arbitrary potential so you will be at the same potential as the case. If you were to inadvertently touch something else that had a different potential (such as real ground), you could damage components due to the potential difference.

Back