Removing programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have the same problem sometimes but usualy if they are in the start menu the there is a uninstal option

?

Are these unlisted programs working ? Do you want to remove any.
If so go to their folder and see if theres an
"Uninstall file".
Best way to remove programs and left over files.
If you want them all,see if Regedit32 lists them.

Things to know before you proceed
  • Be aware when a program installs itself in Windows, Windows allows it to choose whether or not it wants to be displayed in Add/Remove programs along with whether or not you see Change and/or Remove buttons when it is displayed (is all done via registry settings when it installs itself)
  • At the same time, all programs aren't required to put anything into the registry about itself for use by Add/Remove
  • If you want the "uncensored" version of what programs have their info in Add/Remove use MyUninstaller. But, warning, some things are hidden because they shouldn't normally be removed and screw up you system if you do remove it without knowing what you';re doing. So don't use MyUninstaller to simply remove things you don't recognize.

So, all said, if you want to remove something, suggest you look/do things in this order
  • Look for it in Add/Remove
  • Look for the program you want to remove under All Programs in your Start Menu. See if it offers an Uninstall option via its program menu.
  • Look in MyUninstaller and only remove it if you know what it is, have installed it yourself or have sufficient advanced knowledge of your system that you know what you're doing and how to recover if you simply want to remove as you choose.

Specifically: AVG is not showing, so are many other programs that normally do, but for some reason they are not now. Ccleaner is not showing them either but i know there are programs here but are not showing...

If AVG isn't showing, my guess is you have a different problem. But before talking about another possible reason, first, try using MyUninstaller and report if AVG is listed there or not

/*** Edit ***/
And as zipperman asked, are these working programs that aren't showing up? (sometimes things get removed without all of its "parts" being removed appropriately)

If you are not logged in with 'Administrator' priviledges, it is my understanding that some programs won't appear for you in the add/remove list. Why? Well, like AVG, for self-protection against removal perhaps.

I am using administrator and avg is not showing in myuninstaller

I am trying to install the new avg 8 free edition and maybe the full version if it is good but when installing it says that there is another virus program installed but i can not see one in add/remove, ccleaner and myuninstaller i did have avg 7.5 but when i click on uninstall it says the program is not there. This error comes up Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

CCT,

good point. another possible reason if one's using Add/Remove.

(If one trys using MyUninstaller it should at least appear in there regardless of access rights, as i understand MyUninstaller)

Darrenbilly said:
i did have avg 7.5 but when i click on uninstall it says the program is not there. This error comes up Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

When you click on ??what?? to uninstall it??

Ok cct from that i think you want me to install this program that uninstalls avg, but im not sure what you want me to follow from that because there is a few options

well, you got one of those "unclean" uninstalls (obviously)

i'd suggest your best option is to download the AVG free anti-virus which is the same version of the one that didn't uninstall. Then try Removing or Reparing then Removing. IF those don;t work, try re-install that same version and then try uninstall again.

zipper i mean start> all programs.

I just downloaded what i thought was my previous version. Does anyone know where i can download the AVG 7.5 free edition?

Still confused

Darrenbilly said:
zipper i mean start> all programs.

I just downloaded what i thought was my previous version. Does anyone know where i can download the AVG 7.5 free edition?
Add/Remove is in the Control Panel.
Why click all programs,besides
there is no such option.Start/Programs maybe,but why ?

have you not read all posts? The program is not showing in add/remove nor ccleaner nor myuninstall so when i clicked on START> ALL PROGRAMS> AVG > AVG UNINSTALL it told me that the program was not on here, but besides that more than AVG is missing from the add/remove programs and when installing AVG 8 it says i have other antivirus programs on here so when i try to remove them to get 8 it does not work and comes up with the error Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error 0x80070005

Does anyone know where i can get 7.5 free edition so i can try uninstalling it again

that only gives the paid version and i need a license code for that

Just downloaded 7.0 but got this error Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avg7rsxp.sys: starting service....
Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (183)

Darrenbilly

If you use the link provided by Zipperman, you'll find at the very top of the page is information (and another link for AVG 7.5 users)

fyi.. i am curious about other things you say aren't showing up in Add/Remove but want to stay focused on AVG till you have that one fixed.

i haven't gone back to re-read the thread.. but are you trying to uninstall AVG anti-virus? or AVG anti-spyware? or both?

in any case, you have links to download both in version 7.5.

i'm going offline awhile and can check back to see how you're doin maybe later tonight or else tomorrow.

If all else fails (for now) why not just install someone else;s free anti-virus product (or spyware as the case may be)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back