Replaced SATA hard drive not detected

Lornick

Thought i start a new thread. Cant get my answer anywhere.

Picked up a Computer that had no hard drive i have limited information on it and my eyesight is not so good so reading the tiny numbers are an issue.

The computer is a Pentium 4 3000 ghz intel processor, motherboard F xxxxxx 7060 BIOS is phoenix. New hard drive WD blue 500gb. It cannot detect this hard drive, nothing done to hard drive new out of package. All cables are connected correctly,computer powers up, boots from cd rom, inserted xp disk but still cannot detect my hard drive, dont have a jump in the sata hard drive western digital says none is required. Any help would be greatly appreciated banging my head against the wall over this. :S

First download this tool, straight to your desktop, "System Information for Windows" ("SIW" for short) from here; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html Make sure you get this version: SIW Without Installer (English-Only) It's the last download toward the bottom of the page.

There's no need to install this, just click the icon and it'll give you more info about your system than you'll ever need.

Once you get the chipset and manufacturer info on the board, you'll probably be able to download the manuals.

Put the SATA jumper issue out of your mind. I think only Seagate shipped SATA drives with jumpers, and the only purpose was to hold the drive in SATA 1 spec (150Gbs) The drives would run jumpered even in SATA 2 boards, but at SATA 1 speed.

Your problem may be as simple as setting the BIOS to run the HDDs as "IDE"

Win XP won't run SATA as SATA, (or ACHI) without 3rd party drivers.

That said, there's no real performance hit in running the drive in IDE mode, and it'll get you up and running right away.

We do need to know what board, and what vintage this machine is, as there are other potential issues.

Thank you very much for gettting back to me, i havnet had the chance to install the program on that computer, but a friend came around and was kind enough to read the numbers for me :D

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION

Micro Star MS-7060 SERIAL 5120783291
Phoenix 1998 serial 225723531

PROCESSOR INFO

C91249-002
N51120 T2
FO8A-12B852 01/C1
DC 12V 0.13A
NIDEC CORP

Hopefully this helps u help me :D

Again tyvm

http://www.retrevo.com/search/v2/jsp/mytrevo/myTrevo.jsp?page=man is your motherboard manual a 4Mb download

what you need is page 4-4 where the SIS serial ATA controller can be disabled. This puts it in IDE mode. The manual also describes how you can leave it in SATA mode and use a floppy disc to install SATA drivers when installing XP assuming you might want to. As Cp'nCranky says, no real need to do so.

Thank you very much for your response i will look into that a bit later, i was studying the manual today once i found out the model number for the motherboard. So my heads a bit fried lol.

You wouldnt be able to give me a hand knowing were i can get the drivers from, ive looked everywhere the motherboards website is useless to find downloads on, even done a search and can only find drivers for people wanting to see em, know anyone who gives free drivers at all?

Thanks ahead for any input!!

Back