Replacing a laptop hard drive

Cephas

Hi all,

My laptop's hard drive has been getting worse and worse in the past 2 months, eg. freezing for up to an hour at a time, heating up to painful temperatures until it overheats and crashes. But today she finally died and is completely unable to start.

A systems diagnostic gave error 2000-146, which apparently means hard drive failure. But everything's already backed up and safe, so I'm quite happy to just replace it.

But... I don't know how on earth I would go about doing that, or what I should be looking for when buying a new laptop hard drive, ie. what the difference is between a desktop HD and a laptop one.

So... Any advice?

Hey Partian Shot. A desktop drive is bigger and will generally have greater capacity. What is the make and model number of your laptop?. Do you have the Windows OS on a disk?

So sorry for the delay, been under the weather the past few days. Your first link is for desktop drives,3.5"
I did see some reviews where some people were stating that your particular drive died after some months to a year of use. The link below shows similar Seagate drives, however, if you don't have a Windows OS disk, you should be able to get a replacement/recovery disk from Dell as your system might have had an OS recovery procedure to create a disk and/or had a hidden recovery partition on your disk drive. The appropriate drivers for your system will be on the Dell website (the Dell Service Tag makes it easy).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=100007605 50001305&IsNodeId=1&name=Seagate

Back