Report suggests China's Covid outbreaks could impact upcoming PC hardware launches

Daniel Sims

Staff
A hot potato: As much of the world emerges from the pandemic and the ensuing tech supply chain effects, recent events in China suggest that we're not out of the woods yet. Problems at manufacturing plants have affected products globally all year, but recent shifts could expand the effects into 2023.

DigiTimes reports that possible fresh Covid outbreaks in China could impact PC and laptop launches early next year due to labor supply disruptions. China's government started relaxing strict Covid lockdowns after fierce protests occurred across the country. Because China has yet to achieve herd immunity, some fear new outbreaks could be severe enough to affect manufacturing and by extension global supply chains.

Some Chinese notebook supply chain plants reported infections impacting up to half of their workers, sources tell DigiTimes. The actual overall worker infection rate might only be 10 to 15 percent, but fear of infection might prevent other employees from showing up. Things might worsen after Lunar New Year on January 22 when many workers go on holiday, which could cause a spike in infections.

Factory shutdowns are likely to cause delays to flow down the production line, affecting upcoming PCs that use the latest processors. The biggest PC vendors might face component shortages, forcing them to either downscale or delay launches for new products.

It's unclear how this could affect the worldwide PC market in the coming months. So far the shortages haven't impacted Taiwan notebook companies like Compal, Inventec, Quanta, or Winstron.

Previous Chinese manufacturing disturbances impacted Apple throughout 2022. A March Covid surge in Shenzhen temporarily shut down manufacturing. In May, lockdowns and riots at factories forced Apple to delay its new 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pros. Protests against lockdowns at Foxconn's Zhengzhou plant last month led to an estimated deficit of 6 million iPhone 14 Pros, which the Cupertino company hopes to make up for next year.

The volatile production situation, along with rising geopolitical tensions, has started a push in some countries to decrease their manufacturing dependence on China. Following the US, multiple countries are readying export bans to restrict China's ability to manufacture advanced chips. Analysis suggests uncoupling manufacturing from China is possible but difficult.

Permalink to story.

I hope it cripples their economy & country for the next 5yrs and leads to the CCP being decapitated.

These are the secretive f##ckers and their labs experimenting, that caused it in the first place...Karma.
I hope so too, mainly because the disgusting CCP is overdue to be overthrown, and the chinese people have a long history of taking down their own government after a time.

Looks like this disease it's here to stay. Soon this will be back to all globe pretty soon.
Let them jack up the prices that are already sky high, let's see who it's going to buy this time.

Of course the disease is here to stay. The CCP won't let it go away. It's the justification for the boot on every citizens neck for the rest of their natural born lives. The corona virus or any mutation should be the last of "anybodys" worries. A communist dictator is a more deadly virus in my eyes.

I thought we already figured out that shutting down the entire economy didn't magically cause the viruses to disappear or save lives? And yet, here we go again, go figure!

The Chinese built the virus at Wuhan and now they are getting the karma they deserve. It's VERY obvious now that lockdowns, vaccination, masks, etc. do NOTHING to stem the tide. Thanks to the communists every single human on earth will get the China Virus at some point in their life.

Of course the disease is here to stay. The CCP won't let it go away. It's the justification for the boot on every citizens neck for the rest of their natural born lives. The corona virus or any mutation should be the last of "anybodys" worries. A communist dictator is a more deadly virus in my eyes.

I thought we already figured out that shutting down the entire economy didn't magically cause the viruses to disappear or save lives? And yet, here we go again, go figure!
Well, you'd be right, COVID's record still hasnt touched the likes of Mao's high score.
The Chinese built the virus at Wuhan and now they are getting the karma they deserve. It's VERY obvious now that lockdowns, vaccination, masks, etc. do NOTHING to stem the tide. Thanks to the communists every single human on earth will get the China Virus at some point in their life.
Given how aggressively it spreads its likely that's already happened. It's become endemic to our daily life, much like H1N1 before it (which ironically also came from the land of the tiger)

Lockdowns don't work, masks don't work, vaccines (or whatever they call it) don't work.
When you engineer a "virus" you can probably engineer it so that it can't be eliminated.
Until everyone "gets it" and our natural immunity figures out how to subdue it, it will continue
to run around. Funny how that virus "escaped" at the same time the "freedom protests" in
Hong Kong and other areas around China was ramping up. When's the last time, other than
recently, in the past 2 years, you've heard of people protesting inside China openly?

China. Bravely fighting problems they created themselves.
Covid drama is non existent in almost all democratic countries in the world, with few exceptions. All UK, most of Europe & Asia, dropped masks, QR codes, vaccination checks, social distance, everything. Everyone lives just normally.
But communist China not surprisingly has more covid than everyone else, because they trained their citizens to live in fear.

But he told us you won't get COVID if you take the vaccine. Will we need vaccines every week? If I decline or don't do it on time will I be jailed or fined or lose my job? Can I get a deal like a free shot if I buy 10 gallons of gas?

They absolutely do stem the tide and have been vital around the world.

But they are not long-term solutions. And the CCP refuse to lose face and let most of their population have access to superior Western vaccines.

They absolutely do stem the tide and have been vital around the world.

But they are not long-term solutions. And the CCP refuse to lose face and let most of their population have access to superior Western vaccines.
Vaccines are not a solution to this problem. Look at Israel, almost 100% vaccination rate with many boosters and they still have Covid rampant. Meanwhile UK has no restrictions whatsoever, no one took third or fourth jab and everyone lives normally.
Natural immunity is an answer, not vaccines.

Vaccines are not a solution to this problem. Look at Israel, almost 100% vaccination rate with many boosters and they still have Covid rampant. Meanwhile UK has no restrictions whatsoever, no one took third or fourth jab and everyone lives normally.
But how can the governments of the world control the masses and steal all their money if you tell people the truth?

Shame On You!!!

Excuse me, but a significant number of people in the UK did get third or fourth boosters, particularly those most vulnerable.

Of course natural immunity is the best and only solution long term, but in the short-term to prevent mass death, vaccinations were needed. You even conceded as much!

I have no idea about Israel as I don't care for that part of the world at all.

Excuse me, but a significant number of people in the UK did get third or fourth boosters, particularly those most vulnerable.

Of course natural immunity is the best and only solution long term, but in the short-term to prevent mass death, vaccinations were needed. You even conceded as much!

I have no idea about Israel as I don't care for that part of the world at all.
Actually, they're not necessary. If there were a coordinated effort to collect anti-bodies from the blood of healthy people who have already developed immunity to these viruses, then they could administer those to the immuno-compromised without having to spend months trying to create a new vaccine for every mutation of a virus, ad infinitum.

It takes 10 days for a healthy person to develop immunity to a virus and produce anti-bodies in the bloodstream. Would you trust a vaccine developed in 10 days? I don't think so.

Covid drama is non existent in almost all democratic countries in the world, with few exceptions. All UK, most of Europe & Asia, dropped masks, QR codes, vaccination checks, social distance, everything. Everyone lives just normally.
Good for them I suppose.

I haven't catched the virus but for the few months social distancing and masks were a thing it was wonderful to me, but it was doomed to fail since I'm afraid most of my concitizens have the IQ of an amoeba and know nothing about personal space. I really hate having someone literally breathing down my neck at a queue, and I still wear a mask, not because I'm afraid to catch some virus but because it really helps with the... odour of some people. I swear, public transport is a nightmare.

Of course natural immunity is the best and only solution long term, but in the short-term to prevent mass death, vaccinations were needed.
Your opinion is not backed by any scientific data apart from television talk.
Natural immunity were needed and it arrived. Vaccines for highly mutable virus like flu and coronavirus are always 1-2 years behind and never highly effective.

Back