Requirements for cloning

I have a laptop that runs Win10 as a free upgrade from Microsoft from Win7(?). I also have a desktop which is running Ubuntu. The HDD on the laptop is about to go so I would like to move the contents to the desktop. I thought to clone the HDD and move it to the desktop. However, I have read that unless I have a new motherboard, Microsoft will not allow the license transfer. Can someone verify this information? If this is correct is there work around or another option?

I downloaded a copy of Win10 onto the desktop, but it was not fully functional without the activation key. When I reinstalled Ubuntu for a dual boot Win10 was removed from the desktop even though I chose to install along side. Curious if there is a reason for this that relates to Win10 not being activated.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

A cloned hard drive is very unlikely to work in the desktop. Firstly, there is the difference in drivers required and secondly Windows 10 OEM versions are not transferable. In other words, even if you do a fresh W10 install on the desktop the validation key that worked on the laptop won't be accepted. If you had a retail version of W10 it would be possible to transfer it to a different computer. That's one reason why the retail versions are much dearer than the OEM ones.

You could clone your laptop drive which would work fine as a straightforward replacement. An SSD drive would give your laptop a real boost if you could afford the upgrade. There are a number of other alternatives but what you are thinking of doing is against Microsoft's licensing conditions.

Back