Researchers create futuristic interactive 3D display using fog

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Researchers at the University of Bristol in the UK have developed a unique interactive tabletop surface called the MisTable. It combines a conventional interactive surface with personal screens built using fog and a camera system to monitor movements.

The projections are both see-through and reach-through for a totally immersive experience that can be manipulated by the user. It kind of looks like a hologram at first glance but of course, it isn't. More information on the proof-of-concept can be found on the project's website.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

But what is it for? I can't think of any practical application.

Looks like a college project for weed smokers like these ones:

Im a bit confused, because the title says it is a 3d display but it looks like two 2d displays. Each fog screen is only in one plane.

But what is it for? I can't think of any practical application.

Looks like a college project for weed smokers like these ones:

We should cut them some slack. The first calculator was as big as a room and didn't seem practical then. Looking back just 5 years, the biggest OLED screen was only 1.5 inches big.

Im a bit confused, because the title says it is a 3d display but it looks like two 2d displays. Each fog screen is only in one plane.

That is what I thought initially. The "3D" refers to the use of depth plane (pushing finger into the screen) as an input dimension around 2:24 in the clip, rather than the usual 3D visual effect. I agree that they should come up with a better term to avoid confusion..

Logical extension of 3D lighting/fog art which had a 2 month show on Chapel Street, New Haven just south of the Yale Art & Architecture. That was 1968.

Need to advance the medium - a gaseous suspensoid which remains in a more constant state which can sense a light x/y/z pointer (the intersection of the light from a pair of laser pointers) used like chopsticks - a thumb pointer and an index finger pointer. (You saw the idea here first... it is now 'prior art' - no freaking patents for simple stuff).

Back