Reseating memory

User365

Recently my computer starting telling me it’s memory has changed, and that I needed to reseat it. I assume this is referring to my RAM as opposed to the computer hard drive (Although I would like clarifaction). Why do I need to reseat my RAM, are there dangers in doing so, and what will happen if I don’t reseat it? Thank you in advance for your help!

You have to reseat memory because the contact pins between the memory sticks and your motherboard number into the 100s of connections, and over time with the heating and cooling cycle that goes hand-in-hand with turning the computer on and off, it makes the RAM slightly move.

There are clips that hold the RAM down to the board but those ram sticks still creep a little and reseating them helps.

To do this without damaging anything you need to make contact with your PC's case with your bare hand. Shut the computer off and remove the power cord and then hold the power button down (like you are starting it up). Keep holding down that power switch for about 15 seconds to drain any capacitors that may have any additional charge in them. Now you can safely pop the memory sticks up and then put them right back down. You should get a satisfying click as you put them back and the clips should engage.

You have to reseat memory because the contact pins between the memory sticks and your motherboard number into the 100s of connections, and over time with the heating and cooling cycle that goes hand-in-hand with turning the computer on and off, it makes the RAM slightly move.

There are clips that hold the RAM down to the board but those ram sticks still creep a little and reseating them helps.

To do this without damaging anything you need to make contact with your PC's case with your bare hand. Shut the computer off and remove the power cord and then hold the power button down (like you are starting it up). Keep holding down that power switch for about 15 seconds to drain any capacitors that may have any additional charge in them. Now you can safely pop the memory sticks up and then put them right back down. You should get a satisfying click as you put them back and the clips should engage.
Awesome, Thanks again!

Back