Respawn has banned 770,000 Apex Legends cheaters since launch

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Whenever you have a multiplayer game with tens of millions of players, there is going to be a certain percentage that cheat. It is inevitable, which is why purges are frequent. Apex Legends is no different. Even after banning two percent of its player base, Drew McCoy says Respawn will continue to vigilantly attack cheaters "from every angle."

Since launch, Respawn has expelled nearly a million Apex Legends accounts for cheating. Last month, Respawn’s Community Manager Jay Frechette said they had banned 499,937 accounts for not playing by the rules.

According to yesterday's EA Developer Update, this month that number is up to 770,000. If you count blocked account creations (300,000) and banned cheat seller accounts (4,000), Respawn has taken down more than a million cheaters.

That number accounts for about two percent of its player base. As we reported back in February, Apex Legends had 25 million players just after its first week. Less than a month later, Respawn tweeted that it had topped 50 million players.

However, the battle is not over, nor is it won. As with all online games, keeping the cheats at bay is a full-time operation. Respawn is continually working on improving the ways it detects and handles those who are out to ruin the game for the rest.

“We can't share details on what we're doing so as to not give a head's up to the cheat makers, but what we can say is that we're attacking this from every angle,” said the game’s producer Drew McCoy. “We take cheating in Apex Legends incredibly seriously and have a large amount of resources tackling it from a variety of angles. It is a constant war with the cheat makers that we will continue to fight.”

Permalink to story.

Cheating is just a way for the crappy players to be competitive.
I remember in my days of playing Counter Strike, you would see folks with 300% health and super speed, sh!t like that. We didn't kick them out, we still owned them in battle, then kicked them out.
The other idea is to put all the cheaters on the same server, I really like that approach.

Why just create "cheater" servers? Let the cheaters have their own servers to "outcheat" each other.

Like what I say - if you have to cheat to "win", you already lost. Kind of like paying money to "win" - more like paying to lose, I.e. Pay2Lose

Cheating is just a way for the crappy players to be competitive.
I remember in my days of playing Counter Strike, you would see folks with 300% health and super speed, sh!t like that. We didn't kick them out, we still owned them in battle, then kicked them out.
The other idea is to put all the cheaters on the same server, I really like that approach.
Yeah I can't recall off the top of my head who first did that but I always thought relegating all the cheats to a special server was a great idea.

There's really over a million low-lifes who think it's cool to cheat at the expense of others?

I knew there were some but it's a sad surprise to hear the numbers so large.

People suck.

Here are my thoughts about cheating, well not specifically cheating but things about human nature.
I play a pve game where you can explore trade and fight npc creatures.
Some people come to the game and play like it is a pvp. They disregard the pretense of others limiting their possibilities and blocking large areas. They could find a thousand empty servers and do all of that there, but no, they gotta find someone to spread their toxicity to.
This reminds me Willy from the Simpson "Damns Scots, ruined entire Scotland."
Thats people being people.
But you know what? Thats the price of being able to play with people. Thats the price of being able to find awesome people and spend great time together. Just like when we live in populated and developed cities and suffer shootings, wide spread diseases, even getting stuck in traffic going to work, those are all the price we pay for the awesome roads which get us fast where we need, great medicine that extends our lives where we would be dead few hundred years ago, and many other things we cant imagine living without.

Why just create "cheater" servers? Let the cheaters have their own servers to "outcheat" each other.

Like what I say - if you have to cheat to "win", you already lost. Kind of like paying money to "win" - more like paying to lose, I.e. Pay2Lose
What a terrible idea. Let's waste millions on servers for people who destroy your game by cheating. Also, before they get caught cheating they will be able to play normally so the damage has been done regardless of the punishment.

As for cheaters, not all of them are crappy players and losers, you had cheaters at semi pro level in counter strike. They are by no means bad players it's just the competitve nature of people that drive them to win no matter what it takes.

What a terrible idea. Let's waste millions on servers for people who destroy your game by cheating. Also, before they get caught cheating they will be able to play normally so the damage has been done regardless of the punishment.

As for cheaters, not all of them are crappy players and losers, you had cheaters at semi pro level in counter strike. They are by no means bad players it's just the competitve nature of people that drive them to win no matter what it takes.

Re-read my post, slowly. I agree with you, but that is not my point at all.

Back