Respawn's hero-based battle royale title Apex Legends has surpassed 10 million total players

Polycount

Staff

Apex Legends is easily one of the most popular titles around right now. Despite being "yet another" battle royale (BR) game, Titanfall dev Respawn Entertainment's latest project has clearly captured the attention of gamers around the globe - and it's not hard to see why.

Instead of merely jumping on the BR bandwagon, Apex Legends actually attempts to shake the formula up a bit. Yes, players are dropped into a large map and are tasked with wiping each other out, but they do so exclusively in groups of three, which seems to give the game a much more strategic focus.

That focus is aided by near-revolutionary communication mechanics, as well as hero-based gameplay and a much more forgiving (and squad-friendly) revival system than what you'd see in other BR games.

The implementation of all of these excellent ideas seems to have paid off for Respawn. As of writing, Apex Legends has eclipsed an impressive 10 million players, and 1 million concurrent players - all mere days after launch.

For Respawn lead Vince Zampella, the community response to Legends so far has been overwhelming. "We hoped you’d love it as much as us, but never in our wildest dreams could we have expected the outpouring of support and positivity we’ve seen," Zampella wrote in a blog post. "From all of us at Respawn, thank you for giving us and Apex Legends a chance."

He went on to promise that there is "much more" in store for Legends players later this year - precisely what that means remains to be seen, but given the excellent quality of the game we have now, we're looking forward to finding out.

Permalink to story.

Sometimes I feel like an "alien" for not liking this genre at all, while seeing everyong excited about it. Tried this game aswell, after trying the other BRs and still couldn´t have fun from looting the ground for 10 minutes and shooting for 10 seconds. Yeah sometimes I shoot twice in 5 minutes, but is still boring. idk if it is my problem or if this gen of gamers just goes with twitch trends. Just to remind most of the big streamers/youtubers are actually paid to play these games live.

Sometimes I feel like an "alien" for not liking this genre at all, while seeing everyong excited about it. Tried this game aswell, after trying the other BRs and still couldn´t have fun from looting the ground for 10 minutes and shooting for 10 seconds. Yeah sometimes I shoot twice in 5 minutes, but is still boring. idk if it is my problem or if this gen of gamers just goes with twitch trends. Just to remind most of the big streamers/youtubers are actually paid to play these games live.

It's very simple, you and I dont like zombie braindead games!

These PVP games have no story, no meaningful interaction, just point and shoot and that's it, at the end of the day it's a WASTED day.

I detest popular competitive MP games mostly because they are played by people with the mental age of like 7.

These PVP games have no story, no meaningful interaction, just point and shoot and that's it, at the end of the day it's a WASTED day.
It is not a wasted day if you are entertained.

I've been having a blast playing this with a friend of mine after work all this week. Game is fun when you have a good squad to play with.

It is not a wasted day if you are entertained.
Exactly. This is another form of entertainment. If it's going out in the backyard and running around, jumping on a trampoline, reading a book, watching a movie, playing a game, etc. it still counts (even if it "doesn't have a point" lol).

I don't care for these PvP games, but I'm sure as hell not going to crap on something harmless because it's not my cup of tea.

Back