Round-up: Five Free VPN Services You Should Check Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/825-free-vpn-services/]https://www.techspot.com/article/825-free-vpn-services/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

EDITED Cyber Ghost no longer offers free p2p. (torrents)

This article would have helped me out a month ago. Actually no, it wouldn't, the article does not list what is good in a free VPN. I chose CyberGhost.

CyberGhost free

Logs: CyberGhost does not keep logs! If your free vpn keep logs, your just a court order away from any pirating, youtube browsing or whatever it is you do, being shown. Not even a court order just a request from the movie industry agents. Good free vpns do not keep logs so they have nothing to turn over.

Speed: 1 Mbit speed cap for free users, unlimited monthly data. I get 1-3 Mbit/s while torrenting.

Reconnect time: 3 hours of connection time before you have to reconnect. 60 sec wait if you do not sign up, 14 seconds if you do.

No other free vpn I looked comes anywhere near Cyberghost. The p2p is 1 mbit good luck finding that on any other free vpn without having to reconnect every 5 minutes. Here is the major cons of the other 4. Keep in mind they may also keep logs. Look that up yourself.
  • TunnelBear 500 mb per month
  • Surfeasy 500 mb per month
  • Hotspot does not log. 750 mb daily limit. No p2p! Ads. Not to bad for surfing.
  • Spotflux keeps limited to no logs. I do not remember if it has p2p. This one might actually be good. Hosted in the USA. Ads.
  • VPNbook is supposed to be pretty good but it is not user friendly. I got so frustrated trying to make my p2p work I gave up after an hour or 2.
There is this one that is only for Chinese residents that kicks ***. So if you live in china... :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't use any of these "free" services. When it comes to VPN you are giving away all your information to who knows to do what no one knows with.

This "anonimity" thing is treading carefuly where and what you are watching.

I chose hotspot but it seems my school did not like that. After about a month they began blocking all my vpn's in school and all it says is server is not responding. So yea...no unblocked websites for me :(

"Free VPN" is an acronym for "Paid for by the NSA"

Never ever trust a free VPN ... hell you shouldnt trust a paid one either, but free is 1000x worse.

Already used Hotspot Shield and already bought it. Noticed some Windows 8 features refusing to work once the VPN is on: Mail, Skype

This is for all you new people. I have only one rule:

* There is no such thing as a good free VPN. I don't recommend anyone use a free VPN provider, they have zero incentive to protect your privacy. Nuff said & welcome to the roughnecks.

Using ZenMate chrome extension, find it better than anything the article mentions.

This article would have helped me out a month ago. Actually no, it wouldn't, the article does not list what is good in a free VPN. I chose CyberGhost.

So what you're saying is, the article is listing a handful of "good enough" free VPNs, one of which you used already because it's really good. :p

Yeahhh so the thing about free vpns is even though they say they don't keep any logs, they have to track some kind of information about you in order to make money. If the service is free, you are the product being sold.

So what you're saying is, the article is listing a handful of "good enough" free VPNs, one of which you used already because it's really good. :p
Well no because it does not say

Logs
Reconnect times
Bandwidth caps
Daily Weekly Monthly data caps
P2P availability/caps
Country of origin

Anyone who is googling articles and finds this one will only get a small piece of the info they need from each vpn listed.

Cyberghost no longer supports free p2p, spotflux looks like a viable option.

Nvm on Spotflux only works for free for like 3 hours.

Now spotflux is working and not sure if its really filtering p2p though.

Last edited:
Dont you think that freemiums can get you into trouble, as they have nothing to loose. I mean they will keep logs and there are changes that they might also have DNS leakages as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back