Router disconnection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy

im havin a few problems with my router disconnectin me (bouncing) from msn, irc and any online games. it stays connected for a short while but then disconnects an reconnects an i dont know why. ive tried alsorts of settings an nothin has worked. my ISP is no use whatsoever in helping me. my router is an ETEC PTI-845.

my isp is UKonline.

please can someone help im gettin a headache from this bouncin
icon8.gif

Check the manufacturer's website to see if there are any firmware updates for the device. Another thing I would recommend you try: most routers have a setting in the connection settings that tells how the router should maintain a connection to the isp. Not sure about your router, but on the linksys routers the options are "keep alive" and "connect on demand." Try changing the setting to "keep alive." I have heard of other people having this same problem and that usually resolves it.

Hope this helps

the option of on demand only makes a connection when its requested so it will idle an drop the connection when not in use, the keep alive option on the router is set to 10 mins, altho if i change it to anything else it loses its PPP connection an i have to reboot the router.

Frenzy said:
the option of on demand only makes a connection when its requested so it will idle an drop the connection when not in use, the keep alive option on the router is set to 10 mins, altho if i change it to anything else it loses its PPP connection an i have to reboot the router.
you can create your own like this
run->ping -t -w 1000 $your-isp.domain-name
you should have NO timeouts and the connection will appear busy to the ISP, thus not dropping you.

you can minimize the command window and ignore it all day/night

i mite have figured it, i had a few extra ports to forward for msn an mIRC and also ive manually put all the settings in an set the keep alive time to 0 so hopefully thats fixed it, ill soon find out overnite tonite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back