Severe Ping fluctuations and insanely low download speed on Wireless Lan

Hey folks,
So I've been having latency issues when playing games like LoL but for the past week or so its gotten absolutely horrible up to the point where the game becomes 100% unplayable. I've already tried using a powerline ethernet kit since im in the second floor (My room is right above the router) to no avail. I have pinged our default gateway while on Ethernet and the results were perfect, same pretty much goes when pinging the game server. However when connected to our WiFi, even when standing right next to the router, the download speed drops from 40 mb/s to 5 mb/s even all the way down to 0.5 mb/s sometimes (I know wifi is inferior to ethernet but the difference shouldnt be this abyssmal right?). I have done several ping tests while leaving my laptop idling and while playing both on Wlan and Lan and some traceroutes too.
My laptops wireless adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x.
I also did some testing on my Huawei 3 and from the looks of it I get better results when pinging the default gateway. When pinging over Wireless Lan, are the values when pinging my default gateway still supposed to be 1 ms or less? I also tried playing mobile games and I ended up having a lot less lagg on mobile games but still had massive ping spikes when playing league. Ive been told by LoL's player support that it might be an ISP issue but while on Ethernet everything seems to be fine which should mean that the issue is on my side or am I mistaken?
Can anyone help me interpret most of my results and help me solve this problem please?

Attachments

• EthernetDefaultgateway.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 7
  • EthernetGameserver.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 2
  • GameserverTrace.txt
    576 bytes · Views: 7
  • GoogleTrace.txt
    1 KB · Views: 4
  • WlanIdle.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 1
  • WlanPlaying.txt
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
Yes, you show some high variability in ping times. WORSE imo, is the duplicate IP address
  • 6 148 ms 246 ms 53 ms 145.254.2.217
  • 7 29 ms 34 ms 18 ms 145.254.2.217
The GameSeverTrace.txt shows your game is at 104.160.141.3 AND that it is entirely within vodafone-ip.de

vodafone-ip.de is masking name resolution within its network so I can't dive deeply into it, BUT
  • vodafone-ip.de is poorly configured as there can NOT be any duplicate IP address and yet vodafone-ip.de has done that
  • the ping rate becomes terrible at your router -- that strongly argues that your system as too many network programs; the pac from PC -> Router should never saturate or fluctuate beyond 4-5ms

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you show some high variability in ping times. WORSE imo, is the duplicate IP address
  • 6 148 ms 246 ms 53 ms 145.254.2.217
  • 7 29 ms 34 ms 18 ms 145.254.2.217
The GameSeverTrace.txt shows your game is at 104.160.141.3 AND that it is entirely within vodafone-ip.de

vodafone-ip.de is masking name resolution within its network so I can't dive deeply into it, BUT
  • vodafone-ip.de is poorly configured as there can NOT be any duplicate IP address and yet vodafone-ip.de has done that
  • the ping rate becomes terrible at your router -- that strongly argues that your system as too many network programs; the pac from PC -> Router should never saturate or fluctuate beyond 4-5ms
I see, what can I do to try and fix it?

Is your router open or does it require a network key? If it is open and you are in a highly populated area, a lot of people could be using your router for internet access, thus slowing it down. If it is not open what kind of router and model number or is it modem/router combo from your ISP?

Back