Router Firmware: Should I Upgrade for Access Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

Networking and routers are an area I have almost zero knowledge. My current router is a Linksys BEFSR41 four port wired. I've had it running for 4+ years and though there have been the occasional need to reset through rebooting it has been rock solid. Since the day I set it up I have let it be. As the old adage goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

However, I would now like to add an Access Point in order to have wireless connection for our laptops rather than having to have said laptops connected by an ethernet cable. There are a large number of offerings of Access Points that allow this option by connecting to a wired router.

Since the firmware must be old I was wondering if the first step should be upgrading my router to the lastest firmware before adding the Access Point. I certainly don't want to "brick" my router but I have certainly gotten my monies worth out of it if it does happen.

Thoughts? Thanks.

you said it already "if it aint broke ..."

get the A/P and wire it to one of the BEFSR41 ports. disable the DHCP service in it
and your wifi connections will be on the same subnet as the wired users.

if you want them isolated, leave DHCP active and change the A/P address to
something different than your BEFSR41; this will inhibit routing between the two
while still allowing both to have Internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back