Router problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

uch

hey guys plz help me

i share a wireless network with my bro n we use a netgear WGR614V9 router. we have the exact same laptops but the problem is my internet keeps on disconnecting. it disconnects in such a way that i have to restart my network adaptor. it usually hapened wen i used voip or msn voice chat etc but now keeps on happening randomly.
nothing happens to my bro's connection.
it is not my coputer coz i have tried everything i read in online forums n when i take it to friends it works mine!! whener it is not working fine at home i take it to friends n its ok!!! so there is something with my router!! help meee

.... we use a netgear WGR614V9 router
....my internet keeps on disconnecting.
...it usually hapened wen i used voip or msn voice chat etc but now keeps on happening randomly.
You did not describe the ISP connection as {Cable or DSL}.
This symptom is usually related to VoIP with a DSL connection and that makes the
wiring suspect. Your regular phones *MUST* have a filter connected to each phone
to avoid this problem.

Well thanku so much for your reply.

I use a broadband connection. the modem is connected to the wireless router. Any ideas?

Plz this is killing me. I cant find the solution online anywhere. My router has some kind of grudge against my network adaptor. it shuts it off! It works fine at friends but not at home:(..i formated my computer, set my router to factory settings, i cant updrage firmware, broadband compnay has blocked it i think.

there r no anti virus softwares or firewall and windows firewall is turned off and so is the routers...

we need the make/model number of
  1. the DSL Modem
  2. the WiFi router

a test you might try is to make sure the windows firewall is active and then
connect modem--->pc (notice: no router)

get a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt
and then come back to this thread and attach
\documents and settings\yourloginid\mytcp.txt

My router is a netgear WGR614 v9 and my modem is supplied by the company i dont knwow that it is. Both of these are supplied by the company.

My firewall is not active according to windows becuase i shut it off. I also shut off the router's firewall from its own interface.

As for the text you asked me to upload i couldnt. I couldnt find 'documents and settings' in vista :S

and then come back to this thread and attach
\documents and settings\yourloginid\mytcp.txt
Oops; in Vista it is at
\Users\yourloginid\mytcp.txt

hey guys plz help me

i share a wireless network with my bro n we use a netgear WGR614V9 router. we have the exact same laptops but the problem is my internet keeps on disconnecting. it disconnects in such a way that i have to restart my network adaptor. it usually hapened wen i used voip or msn voice chat etc but now keeps on happening randomly.
nothing happens to my bro's connection.
it is not my coputer coz i have tried everything i read in online forums n when i take it to friends it works mine!! whener it is not working fine at home i take it to friends n its ok!!! so there is something with my router!! help meee

So you and your bro connect at wireless G speeds, but you're getting disconnected? What brand of laptop are you using? Are you using Wireless Internet Service in Windows? Make sure you both are using SSID in the Router, Encryption is set to WPA2/AES.

Download the freeware Wireless Interceptor from Xrrius
Found here: http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

Looks like this:
http://www.xirrus.com/library/images/Wi-FiDirectorFull.jpg

When you download this program can you tell me what you get in -dBm readings on both you and your bro laptop?

-8dBm = 100% signal strength to give you an idea what you're looking out..

Thanks for the reply

I think both of us are using ssid, that is, i think just one setting from the router's interface and take effect across the whole network.
My laptop is an E system,. Its a british brand

Right now my encryption is WPA personal TKIP. Ill change to see if it helps.
Ill keep u updated with the info i get from the software's....
Plz stay with me on this one

I havent changed the security settings yet but i tried these softwares on my computer. Well its -57 on my computer, ill check my bros.
One thing, my BSSID is unknown followed by a few no.s while the other netowkr shown here, the BSSID from the house next door is netgear followed by no.s

we all have netgear routers supplied by the company...it says netgear over there but not on my network can this indicate something?

P.S. i dont think security change will work, my friends have the same security settings as me and it works fine there

WPA2/AES is better for G and N, but your router specs show it can accept it. It's up you what you want to you I can only advise you. -57 the signal isn't that strong.

Example: -63dBm = 33%

How far are you from the wireless router? In the same room?

I changed it to WPA2 but no difference.

I am in the next room, but the problem happens even if i am just 5 feet away from the router so its not about interference.

There is some fundamental flaw, something which keeps knocking out my wireless at home, but everywhere else it works fine

try changing the router channel number; the range is 1-11 and the default is typically 6.

Try #1 or #11

If when you attempt to connect you should see all the nearby station SSIDs and channels -- pick any one NOT used by the neighborhood.

Hi, what do u mean
but everywhere else it works fine
, have u tried accessing some other wireless router with the same laptop but the same type of router, the other thing have made sure that your laptop doesn't have the same computer name like your bro's u know that will create a conflict. And can u trying using static ip and direct DNS (I mean dont using the router's ip as your DNS but the supplied DNS from the ISP...) the other thing i suspect which is rarely a problem is you AP should be in BG not B only or G only, the other i think u need to look at the network card configurations.
Please trying again updates us on whats happen.
Cheers

I changed it to WPA2 but no difference.

I am in the next room, but the problem happens even if i am just 5 feet away from the router so its not about interference.

There is some fundamental flaw, something which keeps knocking out my wireless at home, but everywhere else it works fine

Have you flash the router firmware lately? Does it have the old firmware? Try that. Changing the default channels US has 13 you should have 14. Bascially it's only 3 channels for 2.4GHz as new dual band 5GHz has 23-28 channels. around not going to solve your problem. If the router is dropping your you off the network. I would upgrade the firmware first. See if that helps? If not take the router back to the store you got it from and but DLINK or LINKSYS.

This will give you and ideal what G and N range looks like.
http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/4465559/21344768/355796347.jpg

This will explain what the max speed you'll get out G or N
http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/4465559/21344768/361480637.jpg

This is the wireless channel chart
http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/4465559/21344768/359704007.jpg

Thanks to everyone...

First of all, when i say it works fine everywhere else, i mean the laptops wireless connections is solid everywhere i use it except my own house.

2. My name is not the same as my bro's computer name

3. I have tried shifting numerous channels to no avail

4. Treid the B and G thingi too lol, sorry i dunno what u really call it but yeh i did change the settings but ddint work

5. The only thing i cant do is a fireware update because for some reason i just cant do it,. it always gives an error and i think the isp has blocked fireware updates in their routers.

6.Tried static IP, it did not work Tried DNS settings, didnt work

7. I check the links u sent me, but i couldnt figure how it effects me. To give u an example, when my internet stops, my msn messenger troubleshoottings states that it can detect an IP adress but not default gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back