Router settings and IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant access my router settings to change my IP address

I have a Sky router, every time I put in my router settings, this 'Bing' thing kicks in (bloody MS) and I cant get to see what they are

I really dont want to phone Sky, they take forever, and I'm not sure they know what they are doing

Is there anyway to bypass this 'bing' rubbish or disable it ?

I am running XP pro on my PC (OS)

I installed a program hide my IP, and I have unistalled it, but I think I am going through a proxy server, as when I try to find my IP address, I'm in Russia somewhere, some pages are blocked, some are in Russian

Sometimes it comes up with 'cannot connect to page'

I check the connections they are fine (I think)

I cant find any way of turning this proxy server off, there is nothing in any of my programs (if there is anything in 'Tools' I dont know what to look for)

I cant do a system restore

I really need some help here please ?

I hope this topic is in the right place for this problem

Really need MFG/Model number of the modem AND the router (if you have separate devices),

but, get a command prompt (run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all
the gateway address will be the IP address of the router.

launch your browser and enter http:// followed by the gateway address followed by a / (slash)

you should get the router login screen

I think I am useing IE 7 or 8

BUT

Yay !!!!!

all sorted,
I just went into .
<Tools.> Internet options>Connections> Lan settings>Untick the box that say.......use a proxy server...........
Close down IE, restart IE, and check your ip address

Now I was using this on my desktop PC, it said I was in Russia, but my laptop, which is connected to my router, gave my correct address (Harrow)
Now if this was through my router, the settings on that would have been changed so they both gave the same place (shouldnt they ?)

Now I'm not sure if this program works, if that is all I had to do to change my IP address, my Internet provider still knew where I was, it didnt hide anything from them

Oh, well I have saved it, I may use it when I look into it a bit more and get some more advice

wow --

there is one IP address given you from your ISP -- you can't change it unless you purchase a domain name AND get the ISP to support you.
This address is the WAN side address on your router (if you have one).

there is another IP address assigned every system that connects to your router -- the LAN address. This you can change in at least two ways.

a proxy address has nothing to do with the WAN or LAN side addresses; a proxy is used by
your system as a means to access web services (like email and webpages) and the whole
point of a proxy is to control the user's access and most frequently are used in corporate systems --
home users should normally NOT need or desire a proxy at all.

As you seem to be sorted out, good for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back