Routers firewall

circusboy01

I've heard if you use a router you don't need a firewall because the router already has one.
Does that hold true if your hooked up to the router wireless?

Yes, it stands true if you hook up wirelessly. Just make sure the router is secure. Also, Windows and OS X have a built in secondary FireWall.

Yes, it stands true if you hook up wirelessly. Just make sure the router is secure. Also, Windows and OS X have a built in secondary FireWall.

Thanks. I have Windows 7. Does having it's Firewall on, along with the router Firewall give me more or better protection? Then if I used the routers Firewall alone?

Thanks. I have Windows 7. Does having it's Firewall on, along with the router Firewall give me more or better protection? Then if I used the routers Firewall alone?
Well you should have the PCs firewall on just in case. But as far as firewalls are concerned, they aren't that effective, hence why you need antivirus software.

as firewalls are concerned, they aren't that effective, hence why you need antivirus software.
hmm; yes and no. Think of security as an onion and free access to your data is at the core. Every layer that makes the attacker do more work is in your favor.

The router adds NAT and SPI services, and some add real firewall services.
The windows firewall (especially Win/7) has real FW features and is very effective in narrowing the attack vectors to those ports where you allow inbound traffic.
{ recall, every outbound click allows free access thru every firewall }

A/V programs which examine the traffic are far superior to those that only scan your HD. I'm referring specifically to AVAST! Free, which has a Web scanner and Email scanner to stop trojans before they infect files on your system.

Scanning files over & over & over is like crying "the horse is out of the barn".
Stop the infection(s) and there's no need for rattling your HD every {night,weekend,month}.

Go to http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com and click on one of the download files to test for yourself to see how your A/V protects you - - it ought to RING THE BELL and deny access to each and every one of them.

As a first attemp, this ought to raise your A/V alert to a trojan. If it does not - - you've got some homework to do! :sigh:

hmm; yes and no. Think of security as an onion and free access to your data is at the core. Every layer that makes the attacker do more work is in your favor.

The windows firewall (especially Win/7) has real FW features and is very effective in narrowing the attack vectors to those ports where you allow inbound traffic.

A/V programs which examine the traffic are far superior to those that only scan your HD. I'm referring specifically to AVAST! Free, which has a Web scanner and Email scanner to stop trojans before they infect files on your system.

Scanning files over & over & over is like crying "the horse is out of the barn".
Stop the infection(s) and there's no need for rattling your HD every {night,weekend,month}.

Go to http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com and click on one of the download files to test for yourself to see how your A/V protects you - - it ought to RING THE BELL and deny access to each and every one of them.

As a first attemp, this ought to raise your A/V alert to a trojan. If it does not - - you've got some homework to do! :sigh:
Wow thanks for posting this. I gotta do that myself!

O.K. First I'm going to go to the link and see how my A?V is working. Then I'm going to double check to make sure my Windows Firewall is turned on. Thanks.

O.K. First I'm going to go to the link and see how my A?V is working. Then I'm going to double check to make sure my Windows Firewall is turned on. Thanks.

Well I clicked on the link First I got the Avast warning that I shouldn't go there along with a connection was reset notice. After the first time I just got the connection was reset notice. Also got connection was reset when I tried to use the "This" link. ???

Correct, the link is a direct pointer to the simulated virus.

Back