RT-AC86u Router set up..?

Hi all,

I don't believe this has been posted before, if this has been covered before I do apologise I'm new to all this and the forum!

I have Sky broadband with the sky router. I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC86U router to replace the sky one for better performance, range and for the guest network availability.

After a few hours yesterday searching the Internet and trying things myself it became clear I couldn't just swap it out, due to Skys restricted security setup. I managed to rig it up and get everything working but im unsure if I have done it correctly to benefit having a new router. I have basically got the broadband cable plugged into the wall port running into the sky broadband port, I then have a data cable running from the erthnet port on the sky router to the WAN port on the Asus router.

My question is, is this correct and am I maximising what I have or is it pointless?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

THanks.

You have hooked up correctly but this means you are running double NAT and it is recommended that you put the ISP router into 'bridge mode' that way it stops doing any router functions and just becomes a dumb bridge. That is what you want and that will be they key to the missing power of the new router. =)

Thank you for your reply! Good to hear I made some sense of it. The Sky routers don’t have different functions so I’m assuming I need to change the new WIFI router to bridge mode then share the ethernet port with the sky router?

Hmm no, you want the Sky router to be in bridge mode. That is the only way it will work well. A quick call to your ISP and they will guide you how to do it. Sometimes they can do it remotely for you!

Ok thank you I will give them a call. I did research into it and the settings etc for the Sky router and everything I found came up with the same answer.. that sky are difficult when it comes to doing stuff like this and there routers don't have modes. So I have little faith they will help me.

Im assuming there's no other way round this to maximise the new router, even if it means I need another piece of equipment..?

Well ...I don't know if the routers running in 'double nat' is going to be a problem for you but here is an article on it:

Shoot for getting the ISP router into 'bridge mode'. That Asus router is pretty good for it's price. I use it all the time =)

Back