Rumor: Microsoft-branded tablet could be announced Monday

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has scheduled a surprise event on Monday in Los Angeles where it will make a "major" announcement. The company didn’t reveal what exactly will be covered, but many are expecting it to show devices running Windows 8 as well as highlight some of the apps and services that will run on them.

In what would be a rather atypical move for Microsoft, reports at TheWrap and AllThingsD citing their own separate sources suggest the company will actually announce a move to enter the tablet business more directly, designing both the hardware and software in an effort to better compete against Apple.

Microsoft-branded tablets may include both ARM-based as well as x86-based models.

Microsoft usually leaves device announcements to device makers and focuses on software. The move could allow it to match Apple’s tight integration and achieve higher quality levels, but on the other hand it also has the potential to anger the long list of hardware partners readying Windows 8 tablets.

ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley speculates that Microsoft could also announce a smaller tablet that could compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire rather than Apple’s iPad. After all, the company has been hinting at some kind of “reading” device and recently made a $300 million investment in Barnes & Noble's Nook business.

Permalink to story.

A better suprise announcment would be Microsoft listen to customers and allows them to disable the Metro interface and choose to use the classic desktop GUI including a Start button.

Why listen to your customers when you can tell them what they need. Apple marketing strategy at it's best...

A better suprise announcment would be Microsoft listen to customers and allows them to disable the Metro interface and choose to use the classic desktop GUI including a Start button.

nah, that kind of craziness would acually make Windows 8 useful for enterprises and power users and we all know they don't matter.

I disagree with above that said windows 8 metro is horrible.

Actually, I downloaded and used the WIndows 8 Developer Preview, and I honestly believe it was good At first, you're annoyed with the lack of start button, and the "twist" of finding the control panel, my computer.

But you can right click the bar, then add "desktop", and then it will have instant "desktop, control panel, etc etc".

I believe Windows 8 is better than Windows 7, I like the Metro design, and I downloaded some of the metro app, it was gorgeous. I like the fact that I can use my javascript skill to make an metro app.

Overall, I tried apple ipad, samsung note android, samsung galaxy tab android. I believe Windows have the OS to beat these giants.

Once you tried Windows 8, you will never go back to Windows 7, the metro design and the metro apps makes WIndows 8 > Windows 7 in feature.

Don't forget the one OS for all (PC, Xbox, Tablet, smartphone) and write once deploy everywhere (c#, javascript, C++, F#).

SO I DISAGREE, but I do agree on the lack of start button is simply weird. They could have added the start button on the middle of the task bar instead of right or left.

I downloaded windows 8 a couple of times but I after awhile, I found it annoying to use. The constant switching between the metro screen and the desktop was very tedious, and it seemed to take a lot more effort to do anything such as turning your computer off than it did with windows 7. I like the idea that Microsoft is trying to make an OS for everything, but it's like trying to hit 2 birds with one stone. You're likely gonna miss both. For tablets, the metro thing actually seems pretty cool, but Microsoft needs to get rid of the win 7 interface behind it and make it so the whole thing can be operated in metro. Really, the only reason why a person would want to go to the desktop on a tablet would be to access the file system. Why not just make it accessible in the metro interface with custom menus, eschewing the whole windows/desktop look and feel. The desktop is too clumsy to use on a tablet. If you haven't checked out the windows market place on metro, give it a shot because it actually looks very cool. On pc, metro should be an option and the start menu needs to come back because the search menu it has is really convenient. Using search in win 8 is really annoying and time consuming. Win 8 is actually pretty cool and it has a lot of potential, but Microsoft isn't tuning it right. They should make 2 separate versions, one for touch devices, and one for regular mouse + keyboard pcs. Yet at the same time they should be easily syncable. Anyway, that's my two bits.

I will buy this tablet only if it has Javascript plugin ,, and Adobe Flash player like a regular computer , I now own a Lepan tablet it is excellent and it does have Adobe Flash in it, But cannot play a certain game ..Lepan will not let you get Javascript , I am hoping this tablet has everything you need

The tablet protuberoid the Java, it can let user not though Windows, so almost quee.

Back